RCU Forums - View Single Post - Peak Model 50 CC Edge 540 T build
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Eganwp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Peak Model 50 CC Edge 540 T build

Well, the DLE-55 ran purrrfectly! I only idled it for a few minutes in the backyard as my wife was complaining it was so loud she though the neighbours would call the cops, LOL. Took me awhile to get running as I somehow messed up the tank lines when I mounted it all the first time and had to go buy some new 1/8th copper tubing.

After that gong show and tank re-plumbing I fueled 'er up with 32:1 fresh fuel and sprayed a little in the cylinder for lubrication. I checked both needles and they were dead-on, but I did richen each one about 1/8th just for the first break-in tank. After about 15 flips she fired once, I hit the choke off and it started running on the third flip. As soon as it started running I knew I was sold on gas and I hate to say it, but possibly done with glow! Even at idle (1300rpm but i didn't idle it right down to see how low it would go) it felt like it pushed more air than most of my smaller glow engines/props at full bore, haha. I know it wasn't but man these huge props have some good thrust.

I'm just about to start hacking the cowl and the last thing to do is put on the decals and wax 'er up. I've even set my failsafes already. I'm going to CG it one last time as well just for reference. I plan on maidening it around the 30% MAC line as I described a few posts back. I'm not sure the wing incidence on this plane yet, but with the typical 0/0 setup I believe it's 30-33% MAC for most planes, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Manual suggests 27%, but I think that's too nose heavy, even for a maiden. I'd have to mount my A123 packs near the firewall to achieve this too.

Anyway, back to the cowl. Looking good crash. Thanks for the cowl pics so I don't have to do it all from scratch, lol. That DA100 would be absolutely insane if you didn't care about the airframe or wingloading! haha.