RCU Forums - View Single Post - The holy grail: Tamiya Porsche 959 4WD restoration thread
Old 04-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Cmontoya9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The holy grail: Tamiya Porsche 959 4WD restoration thread

Well, I think I have decided to finally shelf my 959 for good. 2 years ago I broke a steering arm it and it sat in my shed until about 2 months ago. My father-in-law has a buddy that works in a machine shop and made one for me out of aluminum. The one and only time I ever found the origional part was on ebay. I bid up to $50 on it and still got outbid! The night Igot it back together I took it out to the street in front of our house, I was excited to show my daughter how wild this car really is! I tok a small, slow jump off of a little dirt mound and broke a piece off of the steering knuckle. Luckly that was an easy fix. Of course the next day I had to show pops since he helped me get it going again. I ran it pretty hard for him and ended up stripping some gears in the rear trans housing, so now I have a fwd 959 (kinda fun though!) I was lucky enough to find a new gear set on ebay for it a few weeks ago so I believe this will be its last repair. OK, It will get one more run after that but thats probably it. I have some great memories with this car and will hate to see it put up, but I just cant afford to fix it anymore. So here is to one last HURRAH to my 959, you have truely been a real trooper. This Porsche RALLY car was truely that, nothing less.