RCU Forums - View Single Post - BEST PLANE AND ENGINE IN THE 60-90 SIZE AIRFRAME
Old 04-22-2010, 08:18 AM
FlyerRick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BEST PLANE AND ENGINE IN THE 60-90 SIZE AIRFRAME

ORIGINAL: jsallade

Tony,

Wildhare makes some nice airplanes that just about fit your category. The Baby Edge and Baby Extra are both at the upper limit of wingspan you are talking about and you can fly them on a glow in the 1.20 size range with plenty of power. I've had an OS200FS on my Edge (it was the only plane I've ever owned that I thought had truly to much engine on it) but I hear the Saito 125 flies it very well for IMAC or 3D. Having said that I would encourage you to go with a gasser. Wildhare sells a 30cc that works well for these planes. I switched to an MLD 28 that you can get from Cermark and it is still unlimited vertical. I encourage you to think about a gasser because if you want to compete in IMAC you will burn a lot of fuel at practice and Gas it so much cheaper than glow. That's why I switched. For just 2 or 3 gallons of glow fuel cost I could pay for the gas engine instead of the glow and run LOTS of gasoline cheap! Obviously I lost money on the deal as I bought the 4 stroke then changed but if you buy the gasser up front you will save money in the long run (and not very long at that). My plane came out to 10lbs and the power is sufficient to pull straight up, THEN roll in throttle and climb, throw in a snap or two and accelerate again straight up.
Well put jsallade...This is a real good suggestion here Tony if your seriously concidering IMAC. I have a WildHare 35% Sukhoi in my stable and it's truly a well built and great flying plane...at good prices too!

PS...Just to throw out there...For what I spend in glow fuel in a 2 month period, will power my gas planes for a year! Other side of the coin...Wait to you see the difference in your "clean up" between a gas and a glow plane after a day of flying! LOL