RCU Forums - View Single Post - Anyone else think they should bring back retro-radios?
Old 05-05-2010, 09:28 PM
el-John-o

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else think they should bring back retro-radios?

So there is a recent trend of auto manufacturers bringing retro styling to their cars (think, new Camaro, Challenger, Mustang), well I happen to think that the older Futaba radios look great, they are nice and heavy and rock solid (but that isn't always desirable I guess.) I have two 'older' Futaba radios, my main tx, a 6XA (where the screen is at the top, a more logical position if you ask me), and a Futaba Conquest 4 channel that I have dubbed "the brick" that I use for a buddy box, nice tight stick movements, its heavy etc. Personally, some of these newer radios like the DX6i (esp. the DX6i) remind me of those 3 channel AM radios included in the Hobbyzone parkflyers, they look like they are targeting a toy market (now I know they perform great and I'm sure it's a great radio regardless of its appearance). Anyway, anyone else feel the same? Maybe it's just me but I would be exstatic if they would bring back the older styles integrated with the new technology. I LOVE my 6XA, and I will use it until I have a model that needs 7 channels or more, or I can truly, truly justify getting 2.4GHz and not using my favorite radio.

I also like manual trim levelers, again, this could also be 'just me', but I love how I can have the manual trim levers, save it into memory on the 6XA, then just center the trims and I fly just as if it were a digital trim radio (set it once and forget it, essentially) but still trim it up using the sliders.

Thoughts?

John

A futaba 6XA similar to mine, just to clarify I am not talking about the newer 6EXA.