RCU Forums - View Single Post - Jerry Nelson: PEGASUS & SULTAN designs
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 08:44 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Jerry Nelson: PEGASUS & SULTAN designs

Joe:

I got many of the Gerald Nelson plans all done up in AutoCAD already. That is Except for the Pegasus. I had brought plots of them to the AMA show in Ontario a few years ago. Jerry is now in Texas too.

I asked Jerry about the X tailed Viper he sold to DeBolt later on (I got a poor quality plan or it). Apparently he continued on with the design, and eventally made it a T tail design, re-named it and it took off in popularity then. But Hal had the rights and never introduced it into his line-up of kits. I think Hal was being convinced that the Pylon racers were correct, for Hal designed up a few prototypes, for .19 and .15 power, but they too never got introduced. Ought to hear what Jerry has to say about Hal's flying ability of back then. And, ought to hear what Hal was to say about Jerry (in general).

Jerry was more interested into the pylon racing aspect of the sport than the stunting aspect at the time. He got onto the USA aerobatic team for the 1960's but was leading the charge for pylon racers too. There are a few of the designs of this era which have noted dual uses, (Pylon and aerobatic) when you read the articles. Also read about the need for a separate catagory of Goodyear at AMA events, in some early edition of MAN (like circa 1962) by Jerry. I think Hal was very proud of being on Wide World of Sports (circa 1965) for he often included this feature into his conversations in one way or another.

But, Jerry now wants to sell off the entire business instread of continuing on. He essentially will not go to the effort of looking up to find out if the original for some plan still exists, but knows it does. For the AMA only had his copies it is said.

Wm.