RCU Forums - View Single Post - covering scale WW2 warbird with thin aluminum sheeting
Old 05-27-2010, 11:25 AM
tenacious101010
My Feedback: (97)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: covering scale WW2 warbird with thin aluminum sheeting

Anyone with experience with aluminum sheeting on model airplanes, please share your work and experiences. Carls models do look awesome. I love everything he has built. I have consulted him on using Dyna-Skin. It soulds like a great material but I havent seen a sample of it up close. It soulds like with some heat, it might be good for compound curves like wingtips and other places.
I do want to order a sample and compare it to Flite skin and other types of aluminum looking coverings. It seems things like using aluminum to cover flying models is on the fringes of what people consider to be practical to do. I have had far more comments on alternatives to using aluminum sheet that help on how to work with the sheeting. It seems there are many that have thought of it, but not really tried it. I want to leaarn and share how to do it so others might find it is a viable alternative on larger models. I do believe that aluminum sheeting becomes more practical, the bigger the airplane is. I am sure there are smaller ones that have flown with aluminum sheeting, but have the feeling that about 100 inch wingspan models are about the smallest that are practical. For a 60 or 90 size model, it might be harder to work with but still possible.
I appreciate the alternatives that people have discussed but I would like to steer the thread back to how to use and work with aluminum sheeting. I realize there are silver shrink covering, aluminum duct tape, flight metal, but would like to keep the threat about using aluminum sheeting. I am sure many people could benefit from our experiences. Maybe I should start another thread and try harder to keep it hust on using aluminum sheeting. Back to my original questions and purpose for the thread, anyone have any experience with attaching aluminum sheet to composite and built up structures? What adhesive have you tried and what was the result? I may post a video of making the fillets out of aluminum, that may be helpful to others.
Denny