RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great success. Make your own body shell!!!
Old 06-04-2010, 06:16 AM
jrock0012

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great success. Make your own body shell!!!

ORIGINAL: ScottKelly911

I got the Plaster Of Paris, 25lb bags for $13.99ea at Anawalt Lumber, I got 3 of them. I figured I better have plenty of it incase my first mold doesn't go as well as planned. If it does go well, I'll have some left over to do another mold. My plans for my mold/bodies are as follows. I'm going to use the Proline F-150 as the body to make the mold from. But I'm going to add some of my own flavor to it. I'm going to emboss two circles into the grill as if they were fog/driving lights similar to how mustangs have in their grills so I can run two LED's in there if I choose. I'm also going to fabricate a roof mounted light bar similar to the one from the Jconcepts Dare body that way I can run LED's on the track and not have the wires exposed to the beating that I give my trucks. I'll also figure out a way to make number plates for the sides of the bed. I'm also going to add some vents to the fenders again like those on the Jconcepts Dare body. If can figure out a way to do it, I may also try to add a hood scoop similar to a Shaker hood scoop also found on Mustangs. I may also try to emboss the grill into the mold to give a little extra detail. But that might have to wait until after the first mold is made just to keep the complexities to a minimum until I get good at this. Here's some pix for reference of the different things I want to add together to make the Scott Kelly Edition F-150. If all goes well, I might even try to sell a few of these bodies on Ebay or something. I've priced the .08'' Polycarbonate and will be placing my order on Tuesday. The Polycarbonate comes in a sheet of 4'x8' and I'm having it cut down to 8 squares of 23 7/8'' x 23 7/8''. The reason it's not 24 x 24 is because they take into account the material lost in the cuts. So with any luck, I'll have my mold done by next week and the first body hopefully pulled by the end of next week, maybe the following week depending how the mold making goes.

Proline F-150 Body
[img][/img]
Jconcepts Roof Mounted Lights and Fender Vents

[img][/img]

Grill Mounted Lights
[img][/img]

Shaker Hood Scoop
[img][/img]

Just an FYI, .080 polycarbonate is a little too thick, I've tried it and it doesn't work very well. I've since bought some .060 and it looks like it should work much better have not tried this thickness yet.