RCU Forums - View Single Post - Enya 45X TV AL-Chrome Issues
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 10:37 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Enya 45X TV AL-Chrome Issues

I don't have any experience with an Enya .45 X, although I do own a used .40 X. My experience has been with the Enya .40 - .61 CX engines. Especially the .40 and the .45 CX series which are AAC engines. Those engines, the AAC engines, will not appear to be exceptional in anyway unless you run them with a small prop, 10x6, and leaner than we normally run ABC or ringed engines. Yep, it is counterintuitive.

I doubt that your engine is quitting because it is too lean, in this instance. I would look for something simpler (and more embarrassing), like having the fuel line incorrectly connected to the fuel tank's vent line and the opposite way on the remaining fuel line.

The Enya CX AAC engines run best when ran hotter than any other engines that I know. And they do it on and on and on without any noticable degradation. They last so well in fact, that the cylinder liner becomes dirtied up with burned on oil residue that will destroy the fit of the piston and liner and will actually slow the engine down. Enya goes on to describe a perfect cleaning method for removing the varnish via using kerosene and 0000 steel wool on the interior of the liner. Miraculously, your now tired, doggy Enya .40 or .45 CX will begin running like new again and screaming its brains out. Please do not lug this engine down with big lumber. It wasn't designed to run that way.

Every time I break out one of my Enya .40 - .45CX AAC powered planes and fly it around, inevitably someone will walk up and ask me which engine I'm running on my plane. Then I'm asked if it is a Rossi on a pipe. No, it's just an Enya .40 - .45 CX running the stock muffler, a 10x6 prop and burning 5% nitromethane laced fuel. That's it. They usually shake their heads in disbelief and walk away. I see them looking over my plane later on after it has landed. They still shake their heads. But if you don't tune it leaner than a normal engine, it performs like a sluggard and impresses no one. This only works on AAC engines and not all Enya CX engines are AAC. Darn it.

Ed Cregger