RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hamm Radio Frequency Pro/Cons...
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2003, 12:40 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hamm Radio Frequency Pro/Cons...

bambam,
I got my Ham license way back when you actually had to learn code to get it.
While my interest in Ham was for using the 2M and 6M bands primarily (I've got a sweetie of a radio.. a Yaesu FT-817), I admit that I also thought it would be great to start using Ham band R/C radio's as well.

So here's the perspective of a Ham who already has the license.

I got my Ham license about the time that the R/C channels were expanded in the 72mz band so we went from just 7 available channels to over 50. The Ham R/C radios became less important at that moment in time.
Something else I also learned during my Ham education is that the R/C Ham channels are NOT protected. It IS legal for other Hams to use those channels primarily for remote control of pretty much anything they want, and at higher power output as well so you can be affected by interference generated a long way from your flying site.

In the end, here's why I never did get a R/C Ham radio.
1. False security when using Ham channels.
2. While using a Ham R/C radio, you are then operating under the rules of Ham, and not under the pretty loose rules of the R/C hobby.
3. If you ever wanted to sell your Ham R/C radio, it will be much harder to find a qualified buyer because only another Ham will be able to use it. There ARE penalties for operating a Ham radio, including R/C, without a license. And for those of you who think you can, screw you; I'LL turn you in in a heartbeat and so would most other Hams if you couldn't show your Ham license at the field. I worked hard for my Ham license and I'll be darned if I'll let others work Ham without one.
4. With the large channel selections we now have between 12 and 60 on 72mz, it's pretty hard to find even a busy field where you have to wait for a pin. And if you THINK that will be a problem, just do what I just did. I ordered a Tracker II from Polk's Hobby that comes standard with TX synth and channel scanner, and also comes with a synth RX. That means that you can select ANY of the 72mz frequencies you want to fly on each time you power up. If every channel on the board is being used except one (any one), you'll still be able to fly (although I'd like to see a flying site with almost 50 airplanes in the air).

The Tracker II w/RX was only $275, but if you want to blow a bunch more cash, you also have the option of the Futaba 9Z w/synth module or the Multiplex EVO w/synth module.

That's my take,
Highflight