RCU Forums - View Single Post - PST F-84G Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Stratotanker
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PST F-84G Build Thread

Graham,

I too had issues with the NLG retracting and extending. I had to rework the cam tracks with a needle file to get things to operate smoothly. If you look closely, the locks are a bit aggressive. When the gear is up you can see that when the cylinder starts to unlock the gear, it actually pulls it harder into the lock, the weight of the strut makes it worse so that little tap is enough to remove the load from the lock and allows the gear to extend. The same can be said for the down position, if the nose steering cables are excessively tight, the gear will bind, a gentle push from behind the gear, frees the load and the gear retracts. It took some time but is worth not having a nose up landing to scoop all that dirt up and into the engine!!!! The pic show an exaggerated drawing of the track untouched (red) and reworked (blue). Grab some needle files and Gin and get to work!!!!

Also, look back a few pages, you will see where I redid the spring on the drag brace, it is necessary to make it work properly EVERYTIME. If you still have the little sheetmetal piece bolted to back of the gear you can remove it and can it, not needed when the spring geometry is redone.

Let me know if you have questions, always glad to help.

Chris

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30627.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	1453108