RCU Forums - View Single Post - Are you a member of a club?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 10:01 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are you a member of a club?

I started with nitro helis, then nitro planes, then electrics. I still fly the nitros, but have found myself flying the electrics more frequently due to convenience. I keep about 10 LiPo packs charged up and ready to go, so I can throw them in my car with a couple electric planes in just a few minutes. With nitros, I have to charge my NiMH RX packs the night before, and take my huge field box with me to fuel and start the nitros. Then, of course, there's the nitro slime cleanup at the end of the day. Don't get me wrong, I still like flying nitros, but that ends up being an all day event when I do it. Electric flying, on the other hand, requires only an hour or two of free time.

I do 95% of my electric flying at a club (I maintain membership in at least two clubs, typically). I can (and do) fly my electrics at parks or school fields on occasion, but I find a club field will typically have less obstacles to avoid, and I don't have to worry about people entering my flyover area unexpectedly, or people/kids coming up to me asking all kinds of questions while I'm flyiing, which usually includes "can I fly your plane?" One of my clubs has a small 300' x 100' field (with 30+ acre fly-over area) less than 15 mins from my house. That's perfect for my small electrics and .40-.90 sized nitros. If that field was farther away, I'd probably fly my electrics at the parks/schools more often.