RCU Forums - View Single Post - Star 45 build started
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 AM
MarTay6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Star 45 build started

Well, I haven't finished up my latest project yet (a JAE .21 outrigger hydro), but already have lined up the next project- a Star 45 saiilboat. Yes, I know- big difference between the two! Out of a sense of nostalgia, perhaps???
Anyway- I've ordered a set of laser cut frames from Steven's Aeromodels... will probably plank it in Western Cedar. Giving consideration as to the best way to mill the 3/32" planking required with as little waste as possible/a source for good, straight-grained material to cut it from. 48" Spruce stringers are readily available through my local hobby shot, and I'm planning on Cedar masts/spars, will be building to the Star 45 plans I ordered from the AMYA- which I also just joined. Also ordered a couple of back-issues they have that had articles on the Star 45... so hopefully that will get me off on a good foot.
I get a great deal of pleasure out of building... and am looking forward to keeping the boat in the classic/nostalgic style... hence the decision to go the route I am, as opposed to, say- fiberglass/carbon fiber, etc... though some amazingly beautiful boats are built that way.
The only boats it seems that are raced here in NE Florida are the EC-12's- a bigger, more expensive boat than I care to tackle (at least this is what I can tell looking at the club listings on the AMYA site).
Anyway, the sailboat forum doesn't seem to be as active as some of the other forums- perhaps this thread will kick a little life back in it?? I hope??
Would be happy to hear from other Star 45 owner/builders... rigging will be a difficulty for me as a first-timer- so resources of info/drawings will be helpful.. as well as things like suggestions for the best way to attach sails to the mast, etc. Am thinking the cotter pin/wire method, since I'll be ordering sails for the boat. Seems to be a good, traditional way to do it. Also boom attachment methods to the mainmast, etc... have seen sites that carry hardware, so I'm not at a total loss there. Simply making intelligent choices that I'll have to give a lot of thought to to have a boat that is well made, and everything works together harmonously.
Wes