RCU Forums - View Single Post - Giant Scale Boat Kits
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 10:52 PM
dallas2254

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Giant Scale Boat Kits

I resemble that comment you make mfr02.

It is not that a 6 foot + tug is heavy (34lbs), it is that it takes 3 full size deep cell 45 pound boat batteries to weight it down to the water line and that is alot of going back and forth between the water and what ever large vehicle you have to transport it in. There are a few redeeming factors of having a big model boat. You can do many things with it like:

1) Throw some jumper cables on it and jump start any boat on the lake even after a week of running the tug boat with not recharge.
2) If the boat you are trying to start won't, then you can tow it in even if it is a 1:1 scale boat.
3) You can install more accessories than most models and not have to worry about weight or electrical power drain.
4) You can install an inverter, go AC, and ..... turn your boat into a tazer if you swamp it.
5) You can ruin your back transporting it
6) You can go further away from the dock and still see where you are going (optional video relay)
7) You don't need a magnification glasses to see what you are working on.
8) You can multiply or devide by a smaller number to calculate scale
9) You can waste alot more time trying to find anything that will fit on it since few large scale accesssories are made for them.
10) You get more questions. The first question you usually get asked when someone sees it for the first time is "Why....."
11) And, the answer usually starts with "I have no idea anymore.....it just happened one day at Kinko I got this hair brained idea...."
12) After you build large scale, you never go back which presents a problem for storage and potentially your marriage.
13) If building large scale doesn't ruin your marriage it just makes it stronger.....I suggest naming the boat after your wife if she asked what you are going to name it. I now have two boats named after my wife. The fact that the boat is large made her notice it and the lack of 'honey do' jobs getting done around the house keeps her interested in when I am going to finish it. I just show her another plan for tug that would do her name justice on it.
14) You can transport cargo across the lake or pond with out worring about sinking the boat. (half rack of beverages to the neighbors on the lake, instant life of the part attraction). It helps to live on a lake for this to happen.
15) You can find parts in a marine store and are not limited to hobby store.
16) You can spend alot more money on it than you ever anticipated this hobby should have cost you, had you known better before you went to Kinko copiers with that big idea to blow up some boat plans. ( see all previous points)

I am sure there are many off the wall ideas that others have run into with these large scale boats....

D