RCU Forums - View Single Post - The RCFW Hellcat Group Build
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Sorry for the lack of progress gents. I'm currently in the process of moving and between packing up shop and the 110 degree heat it's been very difficult to find the time and energy to work on the Hellcat. I have managed to get my cockpit done and installed. Next order of business will be to get the canopy glued on so that I can make the fillet around the front windscreen and also simulate the sliding mechanism for the hood.

Since I wanted enough depth to the cockpit to accept the full instrument panel it became necessary to extend the pilot bust a bit to get him high enough in the cockpit. This was accomplished but carving a balsa plug from which a silicone mold was made and then the finished piece (as seen in the pics) was hollow cast from urethane. For anyone using the Pete's Pilot bust I can provide you with the casting so you can do the same to your pilot. Glue it on, a bit of bondo or spot putty to fill the seems, and viola!

Here he is all painted up and installed in the finished cockpit. I am not particularly fond of painting pilot busts but hopefully he doesn't look like a shiny plastic toy at least! He actually looks better in person than in the pics. Everything you see here will be included in the cockpit kit and I am also going to provide a gun sight as well. (My airplane will be finished as a drone and does not have a gun site or guns) As soon as I have this semi-cockpit kit ready I will work to finish up the kit for the full cockpit.