RCU Forums - View Single Post - Help me pick an electric plane / project
Old 07-15-2010, 11:49 AM
learn2turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick an electric plane / project

Just getting back into RC after 20 years. Ihave a micro-cub and a micro-heli. I have a DX6i Tx.

I'm looking for a intro-aerobatic park-flyer to build.
    [*]Durable, Imay fly from a meadow so I want something that won't get banged up easy. I'm thinking foam wing and either foam or balsa fuse.
      [*]Not interested in scale looking, if I"m going to scuff it up in the brush, what's the point.[/list][*]Aerobatic but not so extreme that someone with a litte rust won't be able to fly.[*]I'm on the edge about something more like a sport flier or his new (to me) 3D thing. I want something I can fly in a little wind because that's when I can't fly my micros. Right now I'm leaning more toward the sport-flier end of the spectrum as that's what I flew 20 years ago.[*]I do not want one of those total flatties.
        [*]I would prefer a wing with airfoil shape.[*]I would prefer a fuse that's semi-profile or normal shape is okay but not foam-X is not.[/list][*]I don't know how standard electric sizes are, it doesn't seem like gas where you have .20, .40,.60,.90., but it would be nice to pick a motor and esc that's in a common size so I could reuse it in future project.
          [*]This looked to me like a reasonably-priced power combo. Would it be good for a park-flier, maybe 36" span www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/brushless-outrunner-motor-gh2212-series-p-427.html[/list][*]I don't mind doing a little building but,again, I'm thinking foam wing.[*]I prefer tail-draggers to trikes as they are better for hand-launching and belly landing (just take the gear off if needed).[*]I'd lke to keep it to $100 with power and airframe, not including batteries.[/list]I ended up ordering a couple parts off eBay to hack around with my radio to make sure they work before I start a plane. Ibought an AR6100E,.
          Iwant to double-check that stuff works before I start a plane. The AR6100E is supposed to be a park-flyer receiver, so I guess Ishouldn't go too big with the plane. I also ordered a few 9g servros and a few 5g servos;probably jumped the gun on that as some ARFs come with servos, but they were so cheap I figure Icould put them in the parts box and use them for any project down the road.

One thing Iwas thinking of is buying a couple 36" foam cut wing panels, NACA0015 7" or 8" cord, and then scratch building a balse fuse. That might be a fun project. I'd build 36" spane from one panel and have an extra panel in case I have to re-kit.I have some stuff in my junk box to help with things like control horns and rods and a bunch of balso stock but might need to buy some more parts.

Might just go the ARF route or short kit if I find one I like. Suggestions welcome

So, got any ideas?