RCU Forums - View Single Post - ARG! Control Surface Horns - Help
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 10:11 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ARG! Control Surface Horns - Help

Did ya ever think that ya had everything under control - until that is - you realize that you DON'T have everything under control?

I'm reconstructing a ShowTime 50 ARF (there's a thread in the Crash-n-burn forum). Since I was gonna upgrade the original Hanger 9 control horns I threw the original horns out. Makes sense. Aile &Elev standard 1 horn per control surface. Rudd is a pull-pull.

I WASplanning on using the Dubro HDhorns (pic 1) for the Aile and Elev. Well, that is until I realized that I need 2" long 6-32 bolts and the ones provided are only 1 1/2"long - OOPS. Nope, can't find 2" long socket head 6-32 bolts.

So, time to check available nylon horns. See pic 2 (yea, the measurements are very accurate). OOPS (getting a bit redundant don't 'cha think?). The overhang of these hinges is a whopping 3/32". Ineed 3/16" and 1/4" overhang. Drat.

OOPSagain (yea, that's 3). The orignal horns were tightened down so hard that the soft balsa was seriously dented. Little did Irealize that it was necessary to make sure that the face of the horn was perpendicular to the center line of the control surface. Also, during the reconstruction I added 1/16" ply inlays to provide a hard (aka won't compress under pressure) surface to support the horn. But these ply surfaces are at quite an angle to the control surface centerline.

OK peanut gallery, how would you approach selection and installation of control horns?

Btw - though this is a 3D-capable plane my use will be along the lines of a pattern plane - control throws won't be anywhere near the Hanger 9 high rates.

TIAfor your advise
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lj22185.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	1470544   Click image for larger version

Name:	up48558.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1470545