RCU Forums - View Single Post - Rampage MT issue and reccomendation
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 09:29 PM
mjp777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rampage MT issue and reccomendation

I went through my third set of stock steering servos last week.  Was on vacation got replacements for the second set, bolted them up and they lasted about 15 min.  They died one after the other then a fire started again in the box.  I was sure after the second set I was doing something wrong.  I am not new to RC but new to 5<sup>th</sup> scale.  I had the guy @ my LHS check my connections and configuration with the 3<sup>rd</sup> channel Killer B v1 I have and he could not find a reason this is happening outside of some very poor quality steering servos.  And by the way no issues at all with the T/B servo.  I took apart one of the second set of steering servos I was sent while I was  in the store with him and two chips had come off the board.  I mean just broke loose and were floating around inside the servo they came unsoldered right off the board.  I haven’t broken open the third set yet but one of them is making the same sound when it is shaken. 

So I have a killer bee v1 and contacted Kent over there and he does not believe there is any way the kill switch could be doing this.  Has anyone else had such terrible luck with these stock servos or had problems like this?  I am getting to the point where I feel like I need to wear a helmet when I leave the house J  I came from Nitro and have very little experience using a kill switch.  When testing everything out of the truck the switch , servos and the failsafe in the radio (Spektrum DSX3R) work as I expect them to. 

Redcat has been great so far sending replacements.  They have now requested I send all of the parts back including the kill switch  and the receiver which I managed to save it this time.  I was running with the lid off and watching it closely.  I am going to mail everything tomorrow.  I have a set of Hi-Tecs I picked up today and  started making mods to bolt them on but at this point I am going to wait to see what redcat says before I risk destroying the new servos.  I am inclined to agree with Redcat… from their perspective three pairs of bad steering servos?  That is unlikely and unlucky (thus the helmet).  Furthermore, they said don’t risk those new Hi-tecs until they can get a look at things and identify a root cause (rule out the kill switch and receiver I guess).  The kill switch is original the receiver is new as the first fire ate the last one. 

Its been a rocky start but I will say those guys at Redcat support have been very accommodating and I feel are genuinely interested in seeing this through and getting me up and running. 

STILL waiting to start shredding with my Ramp

Mike