RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sky King 3.5CH RC Helicopter?
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 09:42 PM
MikeReedKS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sky King 3.5CH RC Helicopter?

I have had one for a few days now. I love the size! It is very simple to control, the gyro is near perfect. My only challenge is the instructions are translated very poorly, almost can't understand them. The operation is standard, so truth is you don't need the instructions so it's OK.

The only other thing is the tail rotor is not strong enough and no easy way to adjust it. Forward and reverse are at a snail's pace. Found that if you pulse the forward or reverse, you can get better distance faster, but you look like a crazy pilot. This bird wants to hover by design, so anything else is difficult.

The landing struts are not very wide spread, so it is easy to roll over, even on a decent landing. If you do tip, and the blades are still spinning, they hit each other and chip very easily. Still using my first set and the lower blades are pretty badly chipped, but I use vice grips to bend the plastic back into place and it still flies like they were brand new. It feels pretty well built, very simple design.

They kind of over did the LEDs but hey it looks great in the dark. Truth is I got it as a shelf decoration, the size is impressive for sure and it is fun and easy to fly. Make sure you have plenty of space to fly. If there is any wind, you'll fight to get it back to the tack off spot as the forward speed is so low that even a soft breeze and you'll be flying backwards in full forward mode.

None the less, for the price it's a keeper for sure. My neighbor kid, my daughter and even my wife (who won’t ever try anything that flies) have all flown it successfully. This is the perfect outdoor helicopter for beginners. Experienced pilots will find it far too limiting. I’ll use it as an intro device to get folks hooked and get them trained, then see if they can handle other models.

I ordered 4 extra blade sets and 2 extra batteries today, so I guess I’m sold.

A bit off topic, but I have also REALLY been enjoying my Double Horse 9098 micro indoor helicopters. They are even more controllable than this big one, and you can fly them in the office, the living room or anywhere, and they are very cheap too. Check my video out on YouTube. Search for MikeReedKS or watch below.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-u4PXc82I[/youtube]

One last note... if anyone knows how to increase the forward speed... bring it on!