RCU Forums - View Single Post - what do you think of this case?
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 12:28 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: what do you think of this case?

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Thread moved from AMA Discussions to The Clubhouse

Ken
WOW, Ken, I was watching the video, accidentally punched off the thread and while trying to go back, could not find it. HA! you had me wondering "Wha' Hoppen?" for a couple minutes. Some kind of timing.

In answer to the Op, I think JJ was very harsh with the $2500 "FINE", yet I do think that there just has to be a point where RC types have to learn to adequately control the landing patterns of their machines. I have watched all types, young, old, great 3Ders, beginners, pattern experts, etc., etc. setting up long landing patterns from wide downwinds and simply just too far out for what is needed.
Any RC landing pattern with more than a 200 ft final approach is TOO big. [sm=devious.gif]

If modelers spent more time in the landing patterns rather than simply boring holes in the sky, with the intent of learning to really fly the patterns, using throttle to control altitude/descent rates and elevator for speed control, they may well be surprised at just how well their landings will improve.
I relate it to today's airline approaches with gear and flaps dragging from 6 miles out which wastes time and fuel, simply to satisfy government idiots. The FAA started that BS well before I retired from UAL. One main reason was that too many folks were hired by airlines that really were not truly qualified, In My Opinion of course! Why did those folks get hired? Because the government said so. "nuff said. So FAA instituted rules that any one can make decent approaches and landings from.

Where to Go? Clubs, motivate your instructors to compete with themselves to be able to satisfy AMA Document 921 requirements.

Have some landing performance club fun events. Once the crowd sees the better folks doing such they will get into the same.

Get those patterns into the field boundaries. Like the old fellow on a Philadelphia street replied when the young fellow with a musical instrument ask him how to get to Carnage Hall: He said, "Practice Son, Practice.
Practic those patterns.