RCU Forums - View Single Post - Beware of O.S.
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 01:56 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Beware of O.S.

Right on Tommygun:

How so spoiled we have become in our hobby, and how so little we read from the engine experts great advice. If you were running a car engine under flying conditions, you would sure keep the thing in good working order simply because your life depends on it. Keeping a engine torqued to specifications is normal maintenance. Cleaning out a engine prior to the first run should be standard to everyone. Yes, factories are getting better at this, but good they are not. I would bet that Jett and Nellson engines are very good when received because they are hand fitted, and very high quality. Frankly I put OS in the same pile with all the other junk engines. They have not been good since Fatuba bought them and started to pinch pennies, poor cheap bearings, cheep cylinder coating etc. Magazines and related advertisement speaks of quality and reliability when its not there compaired to a high quality engine. How many "great flying" ARF's have you bought that flew like crap. I understand that the shops and mag's must stay in business, but where do the guys on the net who praise poor quality come from. Ever wonder why the same guys win the club racing events, time after time, year after year? Attention to detail, careful setup and maintenance. Never a plug popping out, thats just very poor maintenance along with loose heads, backing plates and carbs. Everyone eventually lucks out and gets a exceptional engine once in a while. But the guys on top stay that way because their equipment is on top for every event.

I agree, you can tell the good from the bad just based on weather or not they own a decent torque wrench, and use it. A winner just does not "just happen". They practice, practice,practice and maintain their equipment. ENJOY