RCU Forums - View Single Post - TopFlite DC-3/C-47 questions
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2003, 04:40 PM
mulligan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TopFlite DC-3/C-47 questions

Scale surfaces are the way to go. To be honest, I don't see how it's that much extra work anyway. And the offset hinged rudder is too cool.

The manual is very good. Lots of detail and lots of helpful tips. My kit was pretty good, with only a few poorly sized notches, etc. No pitfalls, per se.

I put the retracts in mine and added fuselage windows and nav lighting, which ratcheted the cool factor up another couple of notches.

I used the Wankels, and they are great. Very good performers; reliable and plenty of power for the plane. Even on mine, with an added on-board glow system and a fiberglass & paint finish, the plane could easily have flown on one engine, although I never had to.

I set up the fuel tanks as recommended in the manual- twin tanks placed at the center of the wing. There were NO fuel draw issues.

Another thing I did was to ditch the Wankel mufflers. Instead, I brazed a copper fitting to some copper tubing to fashion a scale-appearing exhaust.

I lost her some time back due to loss of radio contact. But I was so happy with it, I have another in progress... if I can find the time to finish... again.

- George