Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
Skills equal to F3A Prelim sequences
22.81%
Skills similar to FAI Prelims but less airframe demanding.
33.33%
Skills definately lower than FAI P's but harder than current advanced
36.84%
Equivalent to the difficulty of current Advanced but more figures
7.02%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

AMA Masters Class 404

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AMA Masters Class 404

What do you think the relative difficulty of the AMA Masters class should.
In many parts of the world Masters level competition is flown on a national level and is the FAI Prelim sequences but the FAI level pilots are not competing in the "masters level"

It has also been suggested that AMA Masters should be lower in difficulty to the FAI Prelim sequences.

Skills based means tough figures that are not airplane dependent. Airplane dependent are the snaps, the power hungry verticals, and so on that are in FAI Prelim sequences now.

Please give your opinions below and vote in the poll.

Poll to run until 3/3/05 at midnight
Old 02-26-2005, 09:50 PM
acrojack202

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA Masters Class 404

Troy,

I've been away from AMA pattern quite a while, about 10 years, but did fly masters for several years before moving to full-scale IAC competition. I started AMA pattern in the '70's and gradually moved up through the classes. One of the features I liked about Masters class in the early days was ability to create your own sequence, as we do in IAC for the freestyle.

I don't know why the AMA went away from that, most everyone I flew with thought it added interest and challenge to the competition. I've heard comments about 'too hard to judge', but I don't buy that as its done in all classes in IAC (except basic) and I believe its done in IMAC. Actually, I don't see why it couldn't be optional in all classes, as it is in IAC Sportsman. I believe it would add another dimension to the flying and make it a lot more interesting .

In talking with the few remaining pattern flyers I know, it seems the sport could use a shot in the arm. I hope to get back this year and fly a contest or two, probably not in Masters though. After a ten year break, diminished reflexes and eyesight, I'll be lucky not to be embarrased in Sportsman.

Regards, Jack Keiser
Old 02-27-2005, 10:18 AM
Troy Newman

Interesting note Jack, Thanks

For those that don't know in Full Scale aerobatics the Freestyle is not the Sean Tucker scraping the wing tip on the ground stuff......

Its a precision scored sequence that is pilot created. In the old Masters pattern which was at the time FAI also..Pre-turnaround stuff.

The pilot had a catalog of maneuvers...and he had to pick from that list. The rules were something like only so many of a certain Kfactor...and in the end the KF's had to add up to a given number. This meant that the pilots all were on equal ground at the score table.

Interesting idea. This was actually before my time.....I would like to get a copy of the rule book from back then to investigate a little...anybody have one?

Thanks

Troy
Old 02-28-2005, 01:29 PM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

Bump.

-Mike
Old 02-28-2005, 08:54 PM
ceb
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Troy, It's Craig Buckles. I couldn't figure out how to vote so I'm sending an email. I vote for having Masters the same difficulty as FAI prelims. There are a bunch of Masters flyers in my area that are very good and can easily fly the FAI patterns but since we are old and have families and jobs will never have that fine polished edge to be competitive in FAI. We have fierce competitions in Masters often separated by fractions of points between 1st and 6th place with 6 different flyers winning a round. An easier Masters pattern would make it more difficult to separate these flyers. We need difficult patterns to keep it interesting. I've many times heard the comment,"if it was easy I wouldn't be doing it."
Old 02-28-2005, 10:09 PM
Troy Newman

Thanks Craig,
Old 03-03-2005, 11:57 AM
Troy Newman

Last day for these polls

I'm taking this data to the NSRCA sequence committee and it will have bearing on the options for 2007 Masters sequence AMA class 404.

So get your votes in

TN
Old 03-03-2005, 01:18 PM
swk551

Troy,

I fly masters. I have flown masters since pre-turnaround days. I have chosen to stay in masters as I don't have the time and energy to compete at the FAI level and practice the prelim. and final pattern. I have always favored the concept of flying the past years FAI preliminary pattern. There is two advantages of this:

1) keep the complexity level the same
2) as a certified judge, I already know what to look for in the FAI pattern.

I like the challange and airplane technology of the current masters and FAI skill level. I don't think making masters less demanding or skillful will be a formula to keep masters as a top AMA destination class. If we were to "tune down" masters, then I would be better off just flying FAI. Who knows, I may get good enough to make the finals at the Nats. At any rate, we very rarely fly the FAI finals pattern at our local contests. Just my $0.02 worth.

Steve Kessler