Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Composite ARF Impact

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 02:04 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Composite ARF Impact

Was just cruising some websites this morning and saw this new plane offered by Composite ARF. Looks like a revamped and modified Revolution Pro at a couple hundred bucks cheaper. 899 for the stock paint job or $739 for plain red and white. Anybody have any info on this? It looks pretty good and I like the idea of a composite airframe, even though the finish quality can be hit or miss at times.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:15 PM
Pro pattern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Composite ARF Impact

Hello everyone,

I have just visit Composite ARF and I have seen the IMPACT.
It’s a very beautiful plane, and full Composite.
Now that is very impressive and IMPACTing indeed.
I will have to consider this fore a Second plane. â€Back-up planeâ€

Thanks for the Info on this plane, I was thinking that they will be selling a
new plane soon because the Revolution Pro was on sale.

Danny
Old 04-19-2004, 04:42 PM
PepsiMike

Interesting.

Nice to see another 2M ARF out there worthy of consideration. Price is in the ballpark as well.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:18 PM
tph1
My Feedback: (12)

what site is it on?
Old 04-19-2004, 06:03 PM
Pro pattern

Here is the Web-site: [link=http://www.composite-arf.com]www.composite-arf.com[/link]

For direct access; [link=http://www.composite-arf.com/ar/Catalog?cat=27]www.composite-arf.com/ar/Catalog?cat=27[/link]

Danny
Old 04-20-2004, 12:52 AM
ExFokkerFlyer

It does look interesting. I was planning on maybe a Focus 2 for next season, but the Impact has got me intrigued. I would like to see one, or maybe hear from somebody who has flown it or seen it fly. I remember reading something about Jason Shulman flying a modified, slightly or otherwise, Revolution Pro... maybe this was the result?
Old 04-20-2004, 05:50 PM
JAS
My Feedback: (2)

The Impact has all the changes plus from what I had discussed with Andreas for a "new" pattern plane. The current Rev-Pro I have electrified is a standard Rev-Pro. I have a white one due in this week that I will probably cut the fillets off of. I may also have a fiberglass canopy made instead of the clear one that comes with the kit. Other than that, this white one will be stock. I have ordered an Impact, but with a due date of Late May, I'm not sure if I'll have time to finish it before the NATS/Team Trials. I don't know anything else about the Impact other than what is posted on the site.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:39 PM
ExFokkerFlyer

Thanks for the info, will be looking forward to seeing the Impact once it hits the contest circuit.

What weight is the electric Rev-Pro coming in at?
Old 04-21-2004, 01:30 AM
ExFokkerFlyer

I know the Composite ARF planes are painted in the mold, but if you were to get the basic white and red versions, how would you go about painting them? Is primer necessary, or can you just shoot over it as it comes?
Old 04-21-2004, 06:46 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Jason,

How are you going to cut the fillets off?
Old 04-22-2004, 03:59 AM
AmirN
My Feedback: (18)

Primer is not necessary on the glass fuselages for paint adhesion. As long as the surface, whether glass or gelcoated or pre-primed is scuffed for the paint to grab onto, it'll be fine.....The purpose of primer on the glass fuselages is to high light pinholes and any flaws. Once perfect, the primer can be sanded completley off, however, that may cause more pinholes if you sand into the glass...so, it's better to leave a little primer on so the surface looks translucent and paint......The pre-primed or the gel-coated fuses eliminate a lot of the pinholes and save about two shots of primer, cleaning the gun and sanding. One can even add Monokote (the regular iron-on version attached with the Windex method) as trim, lightly scuff and clear if needed.

I'm curious about this plane's performance.....I'm looking at it too.

Take care,
Amir
Soon to move to Vegas
Old 04-22-2004, 05:53 AM
raptor5900

how much paint would you need for this plane?
Old 04-22-2004, 10:19 PM
pizza
My Feedback: (24)

In europe they are putting a zdz40re in these with soft mount, es cf gas pipe, 22X10 prop, makes weight and noise limit no prob, one guy has over 500 maintenance free flights on cheep gas - he says engine is barely broke in - I will try to get pics showing setup.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:06 AM
ExFokkerFlyer

A ZDZ powered Impact??? I can't go the electric route yet, though I definetely will want to sometime, but gas would definitely be interesting! I would love to see some pictures of that if you can scrounge some up!!!
Old 04-23-2004, 01:35 PM
nedim
My Feedback: (1)

Amir,
How can you be sure about the paint adhesion on a surface that comes out of the mold?
Basically all lay-ups including the painted in the mold ones has mold release residues unless otherwise the surface is cleaned with a solvent which does not effect the paint but cleans the mold release agents.

Therefore, a primer coat is not required but a fine sanding or scuffing procedure is advised before spraying colours on the surface.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:18 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in the process of spraying in the molds. Are there any websites that illustrate this procedure? TIA, Mike
Old 04-24-2004, 04:12 AM
AmirN
My Feedback: (18)

Hi Nedim,

I believe I did mention scuffing is necessary for adhesion. And of course I took it for granted that most know about the mold release, so a light liquid soap/water wash prior to scuffing would be ideal for most mold releases, which are PVA over wax....I lay up my glass fuses with just wax and no PVA, so one should know what kind of mold release is used to use the appropriate solvent to remove the mold release....Assuming a substrate is clean of mold release, no primer is needed, just a little scuffing...Primer is to high light flaws in the case of our models.....I use a scotch brite pad for scuffing.

Take care,
Amir
Old 04-27-2004, 02:41 PM
JAS
My Feedback: (2)

I'll cut the fillets off with either a knife or saw or both.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:19 PM
lems
My Feedback: (20)

I am curious. What is the reason for removing the fillets? Does it give the plane more drag to even out its speed? Lem
Old 04-27-2004, 08:33 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

I'm looking at the pics of the Impact and I can't tell from them that it has the huge fillets that the Rev Pro had. Also Jason the plane already comes with a fiberglass canopy according to the write up on the website. Check out this pic and tell me what you guys think of the fillets. Mike
http://www.composite-arf.com/arf/ima...act.001mod.jpg
Old 04-27-2004, 10:01 PM
ExFokkerFlyer

If you read his post again, Jason was referring to the Rev Pro regarding the fillets and canopy.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:55 AM
NZ Scythe

Does anyone have one of these models flying yet??
I'm interested but I'd like to read some posts about she flies first.

If I was going to get one I'd get the White/red belly version and use computer cut vinal for the graphics. I have access to a plotter and it makes the job so easy! No paint! no masking! no runs! no flies getting stuck to your model! and best thing is if you want to change the colour scheme a few months later you can just peel it off and do it again! (removable vinal) also the posibility of using solvent based ink printers to get a photo realistic/airbrushed effect is simple. certainly worth looking into.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:17 AM
fishgod
My Feedback: (13)

I have one on order. The first shipment is due to hit the USA around the first of June. With the planes being delivered the middle of June.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:00 AM
PeterP

I have just taken delivery of an "IMPACT"

I puchased the white and red version so that I can put my own colour scheme on the model.

I am very impressed with the quality of the kit for the money I have paid. It represents excellent value for money compared to other offerings around.

The kit includes a carbon spinner, carbon wing tube, carbon undercarriage and wheel pants, carbon laminated laser cut formers and really cool wing covers, fuselage cover and tail plane covers.

The design looks good and the fuselage is big and deep (As deep as my Alliance). Weight seems very good as well. I will take some pictures soon and weigh things if your all interested.

Peter
Old 06-15-2004, 07:14 AM
byoung466
My Feedback: (16)

Im interested in pictures.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.