Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Got a letter from the FBI

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 09:55 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a letter from the FBI

Yesterday I received a letter from the local FBI office (Chicago) asking us to keep an open eye to individuals asking odd questions about RC planes like payload capacity or spraying options. It was a shock but in todays world understandable.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:28 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Got a letter from the FBI

How do you rate that the FBI contacts you? Your job or something?
Old 09-01-2004, 10:31 AM
Righty

Thats cool that they contacted you... Now your like a agent for them...
Old 09-01-2004, 10:45 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've sent a few suspicious posts to the FBI but never heard back if they ever followed up. One guy wanted a large rc vehicle capably of carrying large payload for "hunting". He said he was going to use it to carry his gear as he walked behind it to control it but also wanted lights, remote camera and if I recall infrared. We sent the post and info to them but never even got so much as a confirm. Maybe they researched it maybe they didn't? don't know.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:07 AM
joeb102072
My Feedback: (9)

You know its just a matter of time before some idiot trys to do something like this. And now watch its probably going to have some negative effect on the whole RC community.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:18 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

How do you rate that the FBI contacts you? Your job or something?
In reality, Robert is a woman who works undercover for the CIA

Was I supposed to keep that a secret?
Old 09-01-2004, 12:03 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Well gee Mike, the way you were hitting on me in Toledo I didn't think you knew.

Actually I'm president of our club.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:33 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

That's probably a knee-jerk reaction to that room-temperature-IQ moron who made the threat a few weeks ago.

The problem with the FBI, like any large bureaucracy, is getting their attention. That can be extremely difficult; but once you do, sometimes you wish you had left well enough alone...

The one usually reliable fact about the Bureau is this; they almost never go off half-cocked. Trust me, they have their share of idiots, but they are pretty good about looking at all sides of an issue before pouncing; especially since Waco and Ruby Ridge. Those two disasters sent a ripple of change through the feds in general that really didn't settle down until just before 9/11. The problem lies in the fact that they sometimes draw the wrong conclusions and corresponding corrective action.

All these so-called "turf wars" we've been reading about mainly deal with the FBI's attempt to enlarge their sphere of influence. The Bureau has always had primary responsibility for domestic (US soil) issues, but has been trying go global since World War II, when Hoover had "attaches" placed in most US embassies. Basically, the Bureau and the Christians In Action (which sprang from the old OSS) have been bitter enemies ever since.

What this letter means is that we (our hobby) now have their full attention. That makes me rather uneasy.

Old 09-01-2004, 01:31 PM
Spaceclam

if something happens, you know they are going to ban rc planes forever. they are not going to bancars, remote detonators or even commercial jets themselves, but after 1 attack, rc planes are history...
Old 09-01-2004, 01:43 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Spaceclam

if something happens, you know they are going to ban rc planes forever. they are not going to bancars, remote detonators or even commercial jets themselves, but after 1 attack, rc planes are history...
It really is a shame how somewhat true this seems. Hopefully if they do AMA members can still fly. Kinda like owning a gun and having a firearms ID. I just wish our founding fathers had RC to include it in the constitution..
Old 09-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Shahid

I dont see them banning rc planes, theres an industry behind it, jobs will go etc.

Even if they did I wouldn't care.

If things got really bad we still have rc sims
Old 09-01-2004, 04:14 PM
Spaceclam

but then there would be no good place to fly my big gasser!
Old 09-01-2004, 04:23 PM
Shahid

Lol, if they did Id ignore it, sure we'd have a million renegade modellers in the world, but who cares!

hmmmm

how many aeromodellers are there in the world?

well uk has 36,000 registered people but what about other places?
Old 09-01-2004, 05:18 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

They already monitor this site, I talked to a local guy a few months ago. Besides we have every profession known to man here, so if something smells bad, I'm sure somebody in law enforcement is already on it.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:52 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Our club Pres got a phone call. They wanted to know if anyone asked about flying large R/C models or GPS guided models.
He was asked to notify them if any such activity took place. (no sh*t)

david
Old 09-01-2004, 06:37 PM
Frankenthumb
My Feedback: (2)

Why would a terrorist bother with an RC plane? I mean, if they're going to attack something they're going to have to be close enough to see it, in which case they'll probably die too. Since we all know that they don't mind dieing for thier cause, why not just pack a Ryder truck and pull a McVeigh? There aren't any RC models out there that are big enough to deliver a significant amount of explosives or chemical/bio agents . . .

I've never flown a real plane before, but I flew with my grandad enough times, and I'm sure I could get a crop duster off the ground. If you're looking to meet Allah and claim your virgins who cares if you can land it?

I just don't buy the whole RC plane angle.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

Well, In our club, ever since 9/11 We have wondered if the terrorists were gonna try anything with R/C planes. As a friend pointed out. The Kadet Senior can carry a fairly large paymoad due to its high lift, imagine the anount of damage that plane could do. I doubt they will try anything though. After they find out how much fun it is to fly R/C planes, they wont want to do anything with it but fly.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:31 PM
iowanspctr

I was at the LCHS and the guy there said he had had a visit from a FBI guy who wanted to know if anyone tried to buy large quantities of RC stuff. I asked him if he would call before or after he closed the sale. He said after, though he might retain the crystals or batteries. Good to see that business sense still lives!
Old 09-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

I wish Dago Reds assessment were true, some great effort went into his thoughts....
As a retired Law Enforcement type I have seen a number of situations dreamed up by bad
people with lots of expertise. I know that there is a lot of potential to do great harm with a larger model. I can think of several off hand but will not discuss them here as it serves no real purpose.
I think it imperative that we all keep our eyes open and pass along suspicious activity like only taking off and not landing.......You get the point, hopefully.
This sport is too good and contains to many great people to loose it with out a fight.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:56 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

You could do a lot more damage with a rental van, fertilizer and diesal fuel than with an RC plane. Flying a plane to a specific target in a new area, if you are not a very experianced pilot, is difficult. It doesn't seem likley.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:59 PM
Dago Red

Lets hope so.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:00 PM
Bruce Rolfe
My Feedback: (37)

Do you remember the Clint Eastwood movie(one of the Dirty Harry ones) where the RC Corvette chased people and then blew up by remote. If Hollywood thought of it, others have too or have taken notes from them.
I know nothing has happened,yet. I pray it never does. What's next are they goign to ban Long Drive contests in Golf because you could hit a ball 400yrds and blow it up.
Ha. that would be the day.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:06 PM
Dago Red

Id like to see thier first experiment on a golf ball like that, blows up on impact, yet he forgot to make a delay on it. It seems like you can do anything with anything. SO whats the gov gonna do. If the start to ban things left and right, the US will get a bit peeved.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Starting after OKC bombing (I was 20 miles from ground zero and it still shook my whole house) and especially after 9/11, many sensitive and potential targets have created a "buffer zone" around the perimeter such that:

1. No vehicle can approach within a certain distance of buildings
2. Check points filter incoming vehicles before admitting entry

I can see the point of using a short range aerial vehicle to penetrate this perimeter defense. The likelihood may be small, but very definite. These days, you can easily buy a 40% ARF package off the shelve capable of carrying a buttload of bad news. If I were FBI and I'm getting tips of suspicious activity, I wouldn't dismiss the possibility so quickly. As much as I would hate to lose flying priviledge (and it is a priviledge), if it does come to that, I would gladly give it up for the sake of our collective security.

I will just have to take up.. yuck... fishing.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:29 PM
jgroumy
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Dago Red

Id like to see thier first experiment on a golf ball like that, blows up on impact, yet he forgot to make a delay on it.
now THAT would win a Darwin award !!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.