RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

TMAXX BULKHEAD BUMMER

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 06:33 PM
Goku
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TMAXX BULKHEAD BUMMER

WAHOO!!! 4 months of trying and I finally broke the first part on my Tmaxx!!!!

(OK... before I go on, I just wanna say... Please do not turn this into a Savage vs. Tmaxx flaming thing.... I'm not switching to a Savage... unless you can get me one for $50 like my Tmaxx cost. you gotta love ebay!)

So, I was going about 30 mph in the backyard, slid sideways through the snow, attempted to go through the fence....and my front left bulkhead is now broken (it is a plastic one). I went through and looked at the other threads on broken Tmaxx bulkheads and It appears this is one of the more common things to break...

Here's my first question: Of all you Tmaxx owners out there who have broken a bulkhead or two.... have you ever broken(or bent) an aluminum bulkhead? I'm considering upgrading to aluminum, but the cost is a bit staggering... especially if they will still break... (As evident- I'm not the best driver, and I'm sure I'll have worse crashes in the future...)

Next question: I also saw some Bulkhead "Braces" online. Does anyone have experience with these?

And my last question is this.... My Tmaxx started life as the old .15 style....much of which has been upgraded.... If I end up just getting some stock replacements, will the 2.5 bulkheads be interchangeable with the .15 style?

THANKS!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76851.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	91883  
Old 01-18-2004, 07:50 PM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: TMAXX BULKHEAD BUMMER

I also broke the bulkhead on my t-maxx and after much thought went to aluminum for front and back both together cost me $150.00 and have not crashed it yet although the guy at my lhs told me that you really have to beat the truck up to damage the aluminum,and he has four trucks.I also just for safety reasons installed a fail safe on my truck as to not have my accident happen again.I hope this helps and enjoy the T-maxx they are good trucks and fun to drive.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:14 PM
Goku

Yeah, they are fun little trucks....
It probably wouldn't have broken, if I had done a quick "pre-flight" inspection... apparently the 2 bottom bulkhead screws had fallen out prior to the crash... if I had noticed this and repaired it.... I'm sure it would have held together.

Here's a pic from before the crash...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80142.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	91917  
Old 01-18-2004, 09:47 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that's awesome, especially for $50. Obviously aluminum is tougher than plastic, but it's heavier, and costs a lot. RPM makes a bulkhead brace for $8, although I'm not sure how it works. RPM products are guaranteed for life not to break.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:06 PM
Sweetshoes90210

Do they have a web site? i have never herd of RPM.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:08 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes rpmracing.com or something, just run a search. I don't think you can buy stuff from their site though. Tower hobbies has the stuff.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:25 PM
mrjason82

try [link=http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/]http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/[/link]
Old 01-18-2004, 11:06 PM
Goku

ok, so technically, it didn't cost exactly $50...I had to do some "wheel-and-dealing" to get it to that price...

I bought this lot of 3 RC cars and a couple boxes of parts on Ebay for $400, sold the XXX-NT for $150, sold the Novak FM rcvr for $45, sold one of the extra sets of wheels for $63, just listed the extra engine, sold some extra servos that came with the auction for $17...sold a bunch of other odds and ends...
..and ended up with my Tmaxx w/ futaba controller, and a LOSI XXT w/ JR radio, 11 turn motor and no-limit ESC for about $100

The upgrades on my Tmaxx are these: Team associated aluminum Shocks, Piggyback shocks in front, Racers Edge Aluminum Chassis, tuned pipe muffler, A-arm upgrades, one new extra set of mounted tires, HS-945MG servo.

I am currently thinking of upgrading to aluminum chassis braces (all the threads are stripped on the plastic ones curently on the truck), If I can just break an A-arm or two[>:], I'll upgrade to RPM A-arms...
I guess most urgent would be some bulkheads...maybe aluminum?- it kinda depends on what kind of feedback I can get on this thread from other people with bulkhead breaking experience.[sm=confused.gif]
Old 01-19-2004, 05:39 PM
**MilkMachine**

the only thing aluminum that has a real rep. for bending is aluminum shock towers.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:55 AM
Goku

OK, I grabbed some stock ones for the 2.5, they should fit my old style tmaxx fine... but I'll probably break them again so I'm still looking at the aluminum ones....

anyone else have experience replacing bulkheads?

Ever hear of anyone breaking/bending aluminum bulkheads?
Old 01-22-2004, 01:32 AM
fumblenutz2g

i was thinkin bout the same thing for my sportmaxx since i jus crashed it
i went to my lhs today asking about aluminum parts
he said theyre great and they rarely bend\break
but he also said its not the parts u gotta worry about its the screws inside
he said that he has seen alot of people with broken screws in their bulkheads and other parts
he said that if u dont kno how to drill and retap the whole with out makin the aluminum weak
to stick to plastic parts unless u wanna keep replacin metal parts bcuz of sum broken screws in them
has anyone had this problem bcuz im lookin into buy sum aluminum parts also
was this guy wrong?