Community
Search
Notices
Academy Racing (MRC) Support Forum Discuss all of the Academy Racing (MRC) product line in this forum.

Welcome, I am your new host.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Long@MRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welcome, I am your new host.

Hello MRC Academy Supporters.

First I would like to introduce myself. My name is Long Le, the new product manager at MRC. I would like to welcome all to this forum dedicated to MRC/Academy products. All ideas, questions are welcome. I look forward to learning from you.

Thank you

Long Le
[email protected]
Old 02-16-2006, 08:08 AM
purple_car

Default RE: Welcome, I am your new host.

Hi Mr. Le, great to see guys like you helping to get the Academy products into North America.

Can I ask, are you from a Korean background? I live in Korea which is why I'm very interested in Academy products.

My friend just bought an str-4 pro. It's a fantastic car, we're having a great time setting it up and driving.

James Graham
Old 02-20-2006, 01:07 PM
DaludedRyda

Hi James

You are the first person who respond to my post wooo...hooo...hehehe... How are you James? No, I am not Korean (I'm Vietnamese, and did you know that everyone with the last name “Le†in Korea is a descendant of a Vietnamese prince to went into exile to Korea many centuries back?). However, I am planning to learn Korean so that I do better business with Academy. I just started at MRC (Model Rectifier Corporation), the distributor of Academy in North America. There is an STR 4 Pro II coming out. It is a touring car, similar in set up to the STR 4 Pro but has a lot of up grade like the V2 (Spur Gears, threaded body shocks, oil filled, one way diff ...) The buggy brother of the STR 4 Pro II is the SB Sport V2. They should both be released in a couple months. By the way, where in Korea do you live?

Great talking to you James

Long Le
Old 02-20-2006, 02:29 PM
darthballs

will mrc be bringing the new sb pro v2 down to the wram show next week
Old 02-20-2006, 08:28 PM
purple_car

I live right in Seoul, which makes driving RC cars a challenge because there are no open fields or open parking lots!

That's very interesting about the last name Le! Learn something new every day! I'll be sure to tell that to my Korean friends.

I saw the STR-4 pro II, it looks beautiful. It's an excellent car and i think you're working for the right guys, Academy is doing great stuff and at a good price point. I'll probably get an str-4 pro II before I leave korea.

So do you deal a lot with the Academy head office? I want to take a tour and see their showroom and where they design and build all the cars lol.

Welcome again.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:18 PM
Long@MRC

Hello darthballs

To answer you question, no the V2 is not going to be at the WRAM next week in NY. Just a quick correction, it is the SB Sport V2, not Pro V2. Academy has not come out with a pro version of the vehicle yet. I think the only difference will be a carbon fibre chassis instead of the FRP chassis.

Thanks for your post

Long Le
Old 02-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Long@MRC

Hi James

It must be nice living in Seoul huh...I always wanted to visit Korea, Japan and China but have not had a chance to. What do you do there?, are you by any chance a pilot, I'm an aviation nut...:-). Anyway, the STR 4 Pro II is nice, it doesn't come with a body but touring bodies like ones made by HPI would fit nicely. To answer your question, I do work with Academy head office but rarely ever speak to them directly due to time difference. I will email them about your interest.

Thanks again James

Long
Old 02-24-2006, 09:23 PM
purple_car

Hi again Long,

I'm an English teacher in Korea, I'm not a pilot but have buddies who are and it looks like a blast. So I take it you're a pilot and into RC planes? What other RC interests do you have, and what other RC vehicles do you own/drive? Do you get to use a bunch of sweet company vehicles?

Thanks for inquiring about an Academy factory tour! Do you know if they're in Seoul?
Old 02-27-2006, 08:47 PM
torksteer

hi long!
i'm trying to be very patient, when is the sb sport v2 coming to the united states? as soon as i hear, i'm putting up a tent outside my local hobby shop. i hope they don't mind........
Old 02-28-2006, 12:51 PM
rohankrishna

hi le
I live in mumbai india. Are there any distributors in india
i am interested in setting up a small rc racing enthusiasts club here and conduct some
event like rc drag
can u help me
thanks
rohan
Old 03-02-2006, 10:38 PM
rschoi_75

Hi Long,
just wanted to introduce myself. I just got a sb sport to play around with and I like it so much I may get an sb pro. Keep up the good work. I hope you guys start distributing more to the US so that parts will become easier to find.

I love Academy stuff. I've been buying Academy models and kit BB guns since the 1980's. I don't know if it was ever distributed in the states, but Academy used to make an oldschool kit airsoft gun called the "Colt" back in the 80's. I used to "smuggle" them into the US whenever I went to Seoul to visit my grandparents. Don't blame me for the "smuggling", I was only a kid at that time, and my brothers always put them in my bag. lol. Anyways, those things rocked! I think it was some of the first airsoft products around. ok that was off the subject.

nice to meet you and the rest of the MRC supporters.
Rich Choi
Old 03-23-2006, 09:00 AM
Long@MRC

Hi Rich and everyone in the forum

How is everyone doing? I appologize for not attending the forum over the past week. It's been busy but I have good news. The V2 shipment is confirmed. It should be here in no more than 3 weeks. Finally I can rest...hehe...not really.

Happy racing

Long

Old 03-23-2006, 09:07 AM
Long@MRC

Here is the build progress online done by Peter Vieira from Air Age

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/s...d.php?t=215588

Very informative.

Have fun guys.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:20 PM
rschoi_75

The new V2 looks great. hmmmm.... looks like I may have another academy buggy very soon......
Old 03-29-2006, 04:32 PM
ve2cvx

Hi,

What is the difference betwen the FRP Chassis and the carbon one, on the pict the FRP seem to be like carbon on the edge of the chassis.
And I got a SB Pro LE2, and I want to know if the slipper kit will fit in my LE2? this new slipper will be easyer to adjust than tne one i got on the LE2.

thanks
Carl

Old 04-11-2006, 08:15 AM
Long@MRC

FRP stands for Fiber Reinforced Plastic. This material is constructed with molded plastic and integrated fiber glass insert. Carbon Fiber, on the other hand, is constructed with carbon fiber fabric overlay in multiple layers, reinforced with resin. Carbon Fiber is considerably stronger and lighter than FRP.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

Long

Happy Racing
Old 04-18-2006, 07:26 AM
Long@MRC

I got news ppl. A new 2WD touring car is being release, it's called SP3-XT. Hold on tight to ur radio.

Happy racing

Long
Old 06-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Team MRC

Hello,

I am getting ready to come aboard as a 1/10 Touring Co. Driver. If this SB / buggy is as well thought out as the STR Pro II touring car and same built materials??? It has to be a WINNER! The service you'll recieve once you buy you SB??? will be second to none, way more than you'll ever expect as for being there for you with product support. Everyone is great, helpful, and most informative. These are the ONLY reasons I have chose Academy / MRC for a sponsor. I am looking forward in my adventure with them in 2006 !

Team MRC
B'

Old 06-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Cainlord

How is the flex with the Carbon chassis versus the stock unit?

So far I haven't noticed it on my V2 but this is of course from bashing and not racing as of yet (hopefully soon).

One thing that would be nice is a mounting plate for ESCs as there just wasn't enough room on the cutouts to mount one effectively, had to rig up something with some hard plastic to securly mount the ESC to.

Also, who should I contact to get my missing shims for the front wheels. My kit didn't come with the shims that go between the axle and the nut. Have a slight wheel wobble from it.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Team MRC

I'll be very honest I am not a HOST here in the forums for MRC or Academy, I will say, I will help you or anyone out there with their Academy vehicles. I believe in this company and what they are doing in order to have a staff so helpfull and knowledgable, This is why I am driving their STR-4 -PRO II Touring car. They know what they carry and sell in all aspects.

The Buggies and setups of a touring car are very similar like balance, shock tension / oils / springs, camber, toe in, tires and well you get the point<smile>..

I am on line alot so my reply times are and should be rather quick,
@@ Are you referring to you V2 car or a ? @@

As for getting the shims that were not in your Kit? I would first go back to my local hobby shop or purchase location and have them take care of it. If they don't? Then I would say call MRC and see what they can do yet infomr them on how your hobby shop handled your purchase. They care about how they are represented. Who knows, MRC / Academy may be gracious enough to toss some your way. If not, They can't cost that much. See if TIM or Carol is around in sales.

I normaly make my own shims. The reason being is you can build your shim to your liking. You don't always have nor do set sized shims work perfect. Look at gear meshes,,, I boil every spur gear i get or use a hot air gun to heat it up, then run it while its warm and allow any plastic burs, sharp edges and imperfections to be worn off easily to allow a PERFECT MESH. Not every gear is round and this achieves it, Thats another subject however... Back to shims????? You can use plenty of thin metals out there and even washers. You have a part number on the shim you need? I may have something personally to get you back on the road or dirt!

Team MRC
B'

P.S. As for a mounting plate for the esc or rec? You did great! Plastic is light wieght and simple. Keep up the creative ideas bro.... When you start racing your Academy vehicle? The abilty to make due on the track and in the pits will make you a good over all racer.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Cainlord

i agree on the service no doubt. I was one of the first adopters in the USA of the original SB Sport V1 and lead to the purchase of an STR4 Pro which I later sold since racing sedans doesn't happen here. Very good cars with some modifications.

As for burs on gears, would would sometimes due the toothpaste method, but I have been happy with the feel of the academy gears and the benefits in offroad appear to be negible.

My issue on the parts missing is with my V2 but Tim has it on order. You should visit www.rc10b4.com for a really large thread on the SB Buggy. Posting on RCtech probably would be good too as touring is really big topic there.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Team MRC

There ya go Cainlord! Thats Tim for ya. Carol is a good person as well. When I was looking to restore 2 old 1/12 cars Tim was there in every wayvia parts and working with me, I received a email back ASAP! It was like he was waiting for my email or something

As for the other fourm?? I will check it out, Do you go by the same name? I'll go by the same myself to get the MRC/Academy word out there for them.

I also have used the little tooth paste method, I used it serveral times when I raced 1/24-28 small scale. It was a must it seemed like. I am really looking forward in seeing what this car can truely do when up against heavy hitters. I am trying to get a battery sponsor now with my resume. So far most are not looking to do anything until I get to d or c main status and then?

I havent raced it yet. This is a new class for me, will be powerless for now and all driving ability. I will have to drive my lines just ot make it up there or spend hundreds for 1 6 cell pro matched pac. I have to use nimh batteries instead of the ole lipos due to ROAR or IFMAR as you know. However I have spoke with serveral pros out there and it seems we all agree to a certain point. Some of the new 4300 batteries and the numbers I have seen here locally! Would easily keep up with my lipos pacs and I had nothing but the best from maxamps personally made packs.

Well chat later and glad to hear Tim helped ya out. I told him he was in serveral google searches with Academy and MRC...He laughed,,wouldnt give me his autograph since he famous with google now,,,,,,,maybe someday!

See ya in the other forums maybe?

Team MRC
B'
Old 06-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Cainlord

i go by Cain on most boards, just on here it was already taken.

you probably already know but if memory serves correctly the TC3 shock springs will fit the kit shocks. The kit setup however at least for the STR4 Pro V1 work very well on carpet that wasn't extremely high traction.

Tim is great, really willing to go the extra mile to help you out.

Now all we need is the brand to get carried by someone like Tower hobbies.

I am looking forward to there new charger as well.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Team MRC

Yeah your prob right they look pretty sim in travel and lenght. i am going to try to make my stock ones work if at all possible for the car. I hate to represent them in good measure and then they show up at a huge race event and see tc shocks! I am selling my triton just so i cna use the MRC brains they have. I love that triton but I ma trying to be so open minded with their product line and trying it.

As for names go? cool. Wasnt able to make it there yesterday, got really busy cleaning the basement out for my mom and going to be reorganizing some stuff for her since dad passed away. Its really hard seeing all his stuff and rc itmes he and I raced with......real hard.

Tim? yeah, I agree he is a good voice to hear over the phone as some. I recall one company that I spoke with down south who had me on hold for 15 minutes then came back and told me , we no longer carry that. I was like,,,what? you dont know if you have something or not??? wow! Tim and all the staff at MRC/Academy are SUPER!

As for tower hobbies? I have soem good contact with some dist companies. I hate to get into the middle of anything they may have going on. My hobby shop is thinking about carrying there products one i get everything on my end set up for racing for them....like i said, can't wait to race this car.......

Team MRC
B'

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94932.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	473807  
Old 06-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Team MRC

Sorry for another post, I tossed a image of the STR II on the sight. I then saw my car and started drooling a bit,,,,,excitement set in, I pulled down the shades, adjusted the monitor screen for better viewing and???????

Man is that low and sleek looking!!!!!!! now imagine my parma .03 alfa body on it!! WHOOO WHOO!!!

Team MRC
B'