Community
Search
Notices
Academy Racing (MRC) Support Forum Discuss all of the Academy Racing (MRC) product line in this forum.

Welcome to the MRC/ Academy forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 11:17 AM
Kit
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welcome to the MRC/ Academy forum

Hi everybody,

Welcome to the MRC/Academy Racing forum with support of all of your favorite Academy car's and buggies, I will be your forum moderator. My name is Ken Kitchens and I am the Team MRC/Academy Race Team manager and radio control product manager for MRC (Model Rectifier Corporation). We are excited about the future of MRC/Academy and are commited to providing you with race quality vehicles, excitement and affordable prices. Please feel free to contact any of our team members or myself regarding questions about your Academy vehicles, our race team is here to provide you with the assistance you may need.

We would also like to invite you to post pics of your Academy vehicles here to the forum so that you can share your pride and joy with us all.

Thank you
Ken Kitchens
Product Manager/ Team MRC/Academy Race Team Manager
MRC
Old 10-01-2005, 10:07 PM
MRTC3

Default RE: Welcome to the MRC/ Academy forum

can i be a moderator please?
Old 10-08-2005, 03:32 PM
un3rd

i was wondering if i could order parts from MRC\academy for my SB sport pro, limited edition 2. i can only find the sport,rtr, and pro kits, no part listing to purchase from on the site.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Kit

I will work on attaching the exploded views to the website. In the meantime, give me a fax number and I will fax you the list. You can call me at 732-225-2100 ext 214

Old 10-10-2005, 07:58 PM
mazda787b
My Feedback: (2)

Kit,

I dropped an email to you last week regarding your racing program. Just making sure it went through. Please let me know because if it didn't that means my email client is not working properly.

Thanks,

Mazda
Old 10-11-2005, 08:29 AM
Kit

I dont remember receiving an email. You can reach me at [email protected], drop a line and I will respond as quick as possible. I will be out in LA next week for the I-Hobby show and then I go to Colorado for a week. It's a busy time of the year.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:56 PM
mazda787b
My Feedback: (2)

I re-sent it.

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2006, 04:28 AM
jsl1

Hi,

It's my first post on this forum. I've juste buy a SP Sport v2 on web tonight. Does'it exist an website for MRC Academy?

Thank you.

-- Edit:
Ok, I've found it on other subject of this forum:
http://www.modelrectifier.com/
http://www.academyhobby.com/

Old 05-13-2006, 09:45 AM
jim.rcracer
My Feedback: (1)

does any one have any set up sheets for the pro 4 wheel
Old 05-13-2006, 09:39 PM
GerryV

Hey everyone. Kit, how do I order the parts I need to go from my SB sport to the pro version? MRC website doesn't sell parts. I have the parts order sheet for my Sport but not syre if it includes the pro version parts.

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:21 AM
ThanhH

ORIGINAL: Mindbendur

Hey everyone. Kit, how do I order the parts I need to go from my SB sport to the pro version? MRC website doesn't sell parts. I have the parts order sheet for my Sport but not syre if it includes the pro version parts.

Thanks.
Hey Mindbendur,

You can call in your order to (732) 225-6144. Talk to Tim. He'll be able to get you what you need. You can also email MRC at [email protected] for more info on what parts you may need.

Thanh
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77026.gif
Views:	269
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	461725  
Old 05-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Cainlord

You will also want the graphite upgrades as well if you want to go to a true SB Pro setup.

you may want to do the following as well as what ThanH has listed:

1. Battery post upgrade (described in the FAQ to stiffen the chassis)
2. Steering arm update (if you can, take pics of what you have and I can let you know if you have the newer style)

Also, you should look into purchasing the new spur gears, max size I believe is 74 tooth as these will fit the V1 series of vehicles and give you much better gearing options than the 70 tooth currently does.

If anyone wants the V1 faq, email me at [email protected] . I am hoping to finish updating it this weekend.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:18 PM
Hawk 6

Hey MRC!
Your SB V2 looks great, but I'm almost afraid to buy one due to limited parts support. I've heard great things about "calling Tim at MRC", but if I break a part on Saturday, there's nothing like going to the LHS or going to Tower Hobbies' website and ordering spares right away.

So, my question is, why doesn't Tower carry your RC kits?? They carry your chargers and plastic model kits. I bet your U.S. sales would increase 25% or more if your kits and spare parts were available on Tower Hobbies.

Thanks for listening.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Cainlord

I would like them to carry the kit too, either tower or Horizon. This is probably the main thing I hear that keeps people away from the vehicle is that its not available from a distributor like tower.

You can however purchase the kit from ultimatehobbies. Don't remember the price but its less than $230 I believe. You need to call however.

I also think evolution hobbies is carrying the vehicle.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:29 PM
rc racer 5000
My Feedback: (29)

a whats up does anyone know if mrc has a web site i have a E mrc thunder king that i got in a trade and i want to blow the dust off of it and geter going agin i have been lookin round every one sez that parts can not be found for them nouthing is broke i just want to update evrything befor i go bashing it
Old 06-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Cainlord

I don't think you are going to find parts from MRC, but Ebay is a good location.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:12 AM
Team MRC

There is a thunder king on there right now for 200 I think, it was a buy it now price. As for parts?? I say your best bet is buy a used one and dismantle it for parts and organize them in such a way future use.

Remember, you have serveral places now besides ebay.

Team MRC / Academy
B'

Old 08-13-2006, 06:50 PM
saaz

Hi

Brand new STR-4 Pro at the track today. Changed pinion - tightened motor mount clamp - stripped the thread!

Out of race!

Is this a weak point?

I intend drilling through from the bottom and using a long coutersunk screw and nut on the top!

Cheers

Graeme
Old 08-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Cainlord

If its the V1, you can overtighten the clamp and pop the threads. I actually ran a spring over the screw similar to how the TC3 used to do it if I recall correctly.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:53 PM
saaz

Hi

Don't know if it is a V1 or not!

Further to my descision to drill out from top to bottom I noticed that the top and bottom mouldings are not exactly in line! What I did was Dremmel out a section in the top moulding and insert a nut using some stuff called Q-Bond which is a super glue with filler - very strong! Seems to work well!

Other problem! Tonight I assembled the new CV joint kit that I got with the STR and they bind! On investigation the pins are not free in the slots in the axles! The central thingy rotates freely but the pins don't! Not what I expected from a brand new kit!

Cheers

Graeme
Old 08-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Cainlord

Does your top deck have two pieces staggered in height? If so, its the V1. The older kit did have quality control issues as far as how some of the holes were drilled. I actually had to do alittle dremel work on my first STR4 Pro V1 and the sport kit as the holes were not done very well.

Academy did a much better job on the SB V2 and I am assuming the STR4 Pro. One thing to watch with the Pro is the caste axles will break on a decent hit. They actually shere off at the pin hole. You can however find CVDs that will work. I know the hot mod for the SB V1 at least was to utilize HPI CVDs (if you are still using the stepped hubs which has a smaller outer bearing) but I am not sure what bone to use for the sedan.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:42 PM
ahr43

Hi Kit,
I have an Academy Griffin 1/10 electric buggy I am going to begin racing in Vintage Class here in Houston come October. Are repair/replacement/upgrade parts still available?

I bought the car very used while I was in Korea, back in 1999. I upgraded it while in Korea with Pro Griffin parts-CVD, slipper clutch, purple bling, etc. It was last raced at Atomic Raceway in Aiken, SC Sep 2000. I broke both front suspension arms and had to fit Associated graphite A-arms. It's been in the attic since I retired and moved to Houston. Anyway, I'm eager to race the buggy in vintage class. If parts are not available in USA, can I still get them direct from Korea?
AC Hauswald

ORIGINAL: Kit

Hi everybody,

Welcome to the MRC/Academy Racing forum with support of all of your favorite Academy car's and buggies, I will be your forum moderator. My name is Ken Kitchens and I am the Team MRC/Academy Race Team manager and radio control product manager for MRC (Model Rectifier Corporation). We are excited about the future of MRC/Academy and are commited to providing you with race quality vehicles, excitement and affordable prices. Please feel free to contact any of our team members or myself regarding questions about your Academy vehicles, our race team is here to provide you with the assistance you may need.

We would also like to invite you to post pics of your Academy vehicles here to the forum so that you can share your pride and joy with us all.

Thank you
Ken Kitchens
Product Manager/ Team MRC/Academy Race Team Manager
MRC
Old 08-23-2006, 08:04 PM
PerformanceRC

Griffin kits and parts are still available from korea possibly MRC has them
Old 08-24-2006, 10:10 AM
Cainlord

You will probably have to order the parts from Korea. I think there are some ebay guys you can get it from.

you may want to give JK Racing a holler on rc10b4.com as he has the info on doing some mods on the Griffin that really make a difference in handling. From what I understand, can outturn a b4!