Community
Search
Notices
Academy Racing (MRC) Support Forum Discuss all of the Academy Racing (MRC) product line in this forum.

MRC/ACADEMY SBV2 "Pro"

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 04:42 PM
Cainlord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MRC/ACADEMY SBV2 "Pro"

What kind of power were you using. Thing is, you hit a stationary object at what I am assuming is a really high speed. That can usually do it.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:13 PM
dereknagreen

Yeah, I deserved it. I was just hoping I could do something to strenghten the front plate a little bit. I guess they probably are saving the main graphite chassis. I'd just rather replace an a-arm. The buggy handles great though, I just need to not hit stuff.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:50 PM
the wheel

TO COMMENT ON SET-UP FOR THE SBV2 PRO THE SET UP ON SPRINGS I FOUND TO WORK THE BEST IS ASSOICATED NUMBER 3 PISTONS ON ALL FOUR CORNERS AND ACADEMY GREEN SPRING ON ALL FOUR CORNERS WITH 30WT OIL IN THE REAR WITH 35 TO 40WT IN THE FRONT
Old 12-30-2007, 11:38 AM
ChaRX

ORIGINAL: Davey G

The gears are not the issue. THe diff might be a touch loose, even if your diff is a little too loose you can get the STEEL OUTDRIVE upgrade which will dissipate the heat much better and not melt ANYTHING! Stormerhobbies.com and amainhobbies.com both have them in stock. Here are the links to both.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/14996

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...s&pn=ACDVPT001
With the other replies here I am led to believe it is more than likely my assembly of the diff that led to the "melting". My V1Pro came with all of the V2 upgrades, including the steel outdrives. Currently the car is sitting in a corner waiting for me to rebuild the diff again, lol. I didnt run it the second time, after I put it back together and did a test roll, the axles are clicking, so I have to try again...I think I backwardized it.

I didn't run any extra cooling for the Max 5700, and during the run the motor did get quite hot, but I believe that is due to the cheap-o LiPo I was running not being up to the task of supplying the MMax. The SB PRO motor heatsink does look awful pretty with the mamba color scheme, too...
Old 07-27-2008, 10:34 AM
HRCules77
My Feedback: (4)

Any bodies, tires, batteries, upgrades, etc. you guys would recommend?
I will be running brushless. Specifically a ACn 22/30/1E with a
Schulze 18.97Kw.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:36 AM
HRCules77

I relented using the Mega Motor and purchased a Novak Velocity Light 4.5 instead. It does work well with the Schulze controller. I have the switching frequency set to 38Khz and am using the 'hard' timing.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:49 PM
BRUSSER

Weel i don't have aSBV2 but i have a GV2 and im using a Novak Tempest ESC and a Famton motor 11x3 and
can tell you that that thing was doing a good speed " we were using a small area about 50ft area in parking in condo and
that the speed gun was marking 29mpg i think it was pretty good using a trinity batt. 3600. sometime soon we moved to
but in mean time we keep brushed using Fantom and Novak.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:27 AM
HRCules77

I have since melted the rear diff. Front is okay, but the rear has become a spool. I did make an honest attempt to start out softly and not simply stab the throttle. However, I'm still the owner of a melted diff and parts are NOWHERE to be found. They are out of stock even at the MRC website. I am looking into the possibility of having these gears made out of metal since I still expect them to melt or fail again even when using the metal outdrives to dissipate heat (which I received in my last parts shipment for the low, low cost of FREE...thanks MRC). I hate to add more weight, especially to the drivetrain, but I think that it is necessary when using a high speed, high power brushless setup. Just my $.02.
Oh, and does anyone know if there are other spurs (like Robinson) that can be used with this buggy? I'm noticing a little bit of wobble in my current set of spurs that came with the kit...some less than others.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:08 AM
HRCules77

I have done the steering mod and have found it to work quite well. I have changed the shock pistons in both front and rear. The front pistons are the 4.5's and in the rear are the 3.5's. The front is filled with 42.5wt and the rear with 32.5wt. Green springs front and rear. These settings are for the 1/8 scale motocross style track out here: wide open with huge air. I am now using the 'sport' wing vs the polycarbonate(PC) one for durability.
I have effectively tossed the e-clips on all my hinge pins by modding them. Soon, I will toss out the stock metal pins for my own, hand crafted carbon pins. I may even make an attempt to make carbon shock shafts....we'll see. Challenges are good. Although I'd really like to splurge and get some Diggity upgrades, I have other mods that my focus is on. Fully loaded, I am currently under spec for this class (1613g right?) and would need to add weight in order to compete. That would probably happen very easily if I used a heavier battery, though.
I am hoping that I will be able to get some diff gears soon.......[&o]
Old 09-28-2008, 02:26 AM
HRCules77

Just checked again....MRC now has the diff gears (and many other parts) in stock. Sweet.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Davey G

Anyone interested in buying this? This was posted on the forums quite some time ago but nothing ever came of it...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76855.gif
Views:	203
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	1044319  
Old 10-04-2008, 12:03 AM
HRCules77

My carbon hinge pin project begins now...... Weekends rule.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:11 PM
HRCules77

FYI: Boca Bearings has a complete set of SBV2 bearings on sale for only $23.99....list price is $99.95. If you have the PRO version, you will need to purchase 2 additional bearings of which there are only 12 listed in the kit: MR6700-ZZ.
It is best to "Search by Manufacturer/Model" as I couldn't find the bearing kit by using the "Car/Truck Cross Reference Guide".
Old 10-05-2008, 01:59 AM
HRCules77

I have completed my carbon hinge pin mod. I have definitely saved some weight....the exact amount I am uncertain as I don't have a scale that will give me an accurate reading. These pins should be much stronger than the ones supplied with the kit....even rivaling titanium. Since I have no need for e-clips, my pins are relatively flush with the a-arms. I also beveled the edges a bit. The new carbon pins are .118 or 3mm. What I found odd was that even though the stock pins are also 3mm, the carbon pins were way too tight to fit unless I sanded them (bad idea) or drilled out the holes to 1/8, or 3.2mm. Go figure.
Next up: shock shafts.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:53 PM
HRCules77

My recent purchase of a set of 4wd tires has left me with a question:
why are the front tires 3.55" diameter while the rears are 3.60"? FYI: These numbers are stamped on the tires. Won't this cause problems in the drive-train when running 4wd? What is the logic behind this? Is it wear related?
Anyway, the foams provided with my front tires were the same size as the foams for the rear, even though there is an obvious difference in tire width. I didn't like the idea of simply stuffing the extra large inserts into my front tires so I decided to cut them down. I measured the difference in width between the front and rear tires and removed exactly that same amount from 2 of the foams. Voila, c'est magnifique! I also found it beneficial to apply Dry Ice lube to the Exacto blade prior to cutting the foam: this helped the blade slice through without much resistance.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Spiro

Anybody have a SBV2 Pro Carbon they are looking to sell? I have a friend who is thinking about getting one... Send me a PM if you do.

Thanks much!
Spiro
Old 04-28-2009, 12:37 AM
HRCules77

The carbon pins wore out really quickly and I have scrapped them. Oh well, you live and learn. Well, some people learn. I learned....good for me. Anyway, the shock shafts are a no go now...too much work. Still hoping to get the Diggity Designs upgrade kit soon for my buggy. I don't know why because it runs really good as is....but I have this weird compulsion and I must upgrade....

Separate note:
It would be great if I could buy the lexan undertray for this buggy separate from the body....the body's still good but the tray has seen better days (that's saying it nicely)
Old 09-22-2009, 11:49 PM
HRCules77

Default RE: MRC/ACADEMY SBV2

Just finished painting a new body....was yellow/black and now I've gone purple/white. One of these days I'll figure out how to post a photo.......