Notices
Academy Racing (MRC) Support Forum Discuss all of the Academy Racing (MRC) product line in this forum.

Hi All please advice STR-4 Alfa

Old 02-26-2007, 07:02 AM
Sick Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi All please advice STR-4 Alfa

Hi there every one, I'm new to the hobby and have just bought myself a new STR-4 Alfa I know it's not the best car in the market but it was the best that I could afford at the moment, I also bought a new electric speed controller ( sensor ) with the car, I am happy with how it's running, I do have problem though with the tire I dont know why but after doing a few turn the tires start to climb off the rims is there any thing I can do to fix this, or should I just get foam tires. another question does any one have any idea of upgrades I could and sould do to the car, some one told me I would put on a bigger pinion +- 40mm I am running the standard one at the moment, I will post some pics of my car soon, thanks for the great site and hope to hear from you all soon.

Best Regards

Judd Sherrin
Old 02-26-2007, 09:02 AM
saaz

Default RE: Hi All please advice STR-4 Alfa

Hi Judd

You need to super glue the tyres to the rims! It's normal to do this! Where in SA are you?

Re: Upgrades

What tooth pinion / spur are you using and which motor are you running?

Cheers

Graeme
Old 02-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Sick Boy

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for the heads up on the tires would I also glue the foam insert to the rims and the tires to the rims?

I like in JHB

I am using the standard spur and pinion, the one that the car came with it was already semi build with it in, I see that there is a lot of space for me to move the motor to the side for a larger pinion, Sorry this might sound stupid but is the Pinion the small gear that is attached to the motor and the spur the one that the pinion drives, Owe I am also jsut running with the standard motor, I was on a very tight budget and only had R1700.00 to spend on the full set up from charger to battery to electronic speed controller, I also only have a 1600 battery would you recomend I use a different one would it increase the preformace of the car, thanks for all the advice, and sorry that I have so many questions[]
Old 02-26-2007, 06:09 PM
saaz

Hi Judd

Not a problem - you will find that we racers are always willing to give advice!

#1 Wheels and tyres

I don't know what tyres came with your kit! Before you super glue them try to find out some more info on them! Often kit tyres are useless and wear out quickly! Do not glue the inserts! Mount the tyres + inserts on the rims. Make sure that they are 'true'. Peel back the tyre from the rim slightly and add the super glue! Do this for every 'spoke' on your wheel. Wait a few minutes until the super glue sets then do the same for the inside. Many okes suggest putting rubber bands round your tyres when doing this to maintain pressure on the hubs!

#2 Motor

Please describe the motor. Was the motor supplied with your kit? I didn't think Academy supplied motors so yours might be an aftermarket motor! Also the make of your speed controller

#3 Gears

If you bought the kit new then it is probably a STR-4 Mk 11 or something like that. I have the STR-4 Mk 1. In my kit the Spur gear (the big one on the drive train) is unique to Academy - the holes are different from the std spur gears that you can buy! The pinion is attached to the motor and these are easily available. Which pinion you use is dependant on the motor and spur and where you race (tight track etc.)

#4 Battery

A 1600 suggests that you were sold the smallest pack available and is probably a NiCad pack + a NiCad only charger! Current batteries are NiMh types that go up to 4200mAh and require a suitable charger = MegaBucks! An ICE Charger + a IB3800 matched battery pack would cost more than you paid for your whole set up! However these are only for serious racing when you need multiple battery packs! The bottom line is that the bigger the mAh the longer your run times will be! On a std Johnson motor, a 1600mAh battery will give you +- 5 minutes of racing - the 3800mAh will give you 15 minutes!

#5 Academy

The MRC Academy chassis is not that common in SA. Where did you buy it from and what blurb did they tell you? The normal 'entry level' chassis in SA is the Tamiya TT-01!

#6 Last Question

What do you want to do with your car? Race or Bash?

Cheers

Graeme
(Camperdown Model Car Club - Durban)