Community
Search
Notices
Academy Racing (MRC) Support Forum Discuss all of the Academy Racing (MRC) product line in this forum.

959 fan mod complete!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 09:22 PM
fastmaxxcooper
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 959 fan mod complete!

i was sick of all the overheating so i finally got around to setting up a computer fan. i picked up a 1.5" fan for $7 and some resistors and now the charger works beautiful!
I got the idea from this page here: http://www.jeff-z.com/rcstuff/superb...uperbrain.html but i didn't like the location so i picked a new one.

i have to fix my other 959 though. when i hook up batteries to it, it only reads 5.00v??? i'm not sure what causes that yet. maybe someone from mrc will grace me with a schematic to look over.

i didn't have a 100 ohm resistor so i hooked up five 500 ohm resistors in parallel.

i've been charging 7 3300mah and 4300mah batteries back to back and the charger doesn't get hot at all.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:57 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: 959 fan mod complete!

Nice job. What are the resistors for in this app?
Old 02-15-2009, 05:31 PM
GreenRacer
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: guver

Nice job. What are the resistors for in this app?
The resistor steps down the voltage from 20v to 12v which is what the fan is rated for. I did this mod to my 959 a few years ago and it does work really well!
Old 02-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Y2KGTP
My Feedback: (17)

Looks nice. I have 2 959's that I prob would like to do a similar mod to...but I also thought making a small case to fit both chargers, and use a
couple computer fans on the box itself. One for intake, and one for exhaust. Thought it might clean up the wiring a bit....

You know, flush the charging connectors (Deans) in the front of the box, and just have 1 power cord to deal with in the back....
Old 02-18-2009, 06:16 AM
fastmaxxcooper
My Feedback: (5)

that'd be a pretty good idea. the cords to get clumsy. i picked up a couple of 100 ohm larger watt resistors so i'll be swapping one of those in and i have a second for the 3rd 959 i bought! more mods!
Old 02-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Y2KGTP
My Feedback: (17)

Just to clarify the locations here....I have a couple 959's I picked up and want to put the fans on the side, as these are going to be mounted in a toolbox drawer, and I won't have too much top clearance when they are put away for transport when not in use.

I was going to remove the tray dividers to have room for the 2 chargers. Likely will just hot glue in place to the bottom tray. I was also planning on shorting the power cords to about 12" or so, and plug into a power strip I was going to mount to the back of the box.