Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Aiptek lipo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:42 PM
pilot error

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aiptek lipo?

I have the nice little pencam trio HD cam, great cam on a stable platform, like the PZ Radian, had great success, and now I have a problem,
I was away for a few weeks and when I got back I went to charge the trio for use and nothing happened when I plugged it in or tried to switch it on, the lipo had died!

I got in touch with Aiptek and tried to get the specs of the lipo so I could find a replacement, but no joy there, so,

has anyone here managed to replace their battery in their Trio HD?

All I know is it has a capacity of 950mah, but no idea of the voltage and I don't want to plug in another lipo and blow something until I know what the voltage range is..
I took some pics of it when I opened it up, the lipo looks like a large one cell yet it has three wires, so I'm not sure about it lol

If anyone has their trio open could you test the voltage of a charged battery for me?

any help would be great,

Thanks...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18781.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1523224  
Old 10-27-2010, 01:51 PM
plane-addict

Default RE: Aiptek lipo?

Can you see how many cells there are in the lipo pack? That would tell you the voltage.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:04 PM
pilot error

Hi it's just one single large cell, 4 inches by 1 inch, @ 950mah, want to take yours apart? lol
Old 10-27-2010, 02:10 PM
pilot error

Here is a pic from the other side, and from the side!

Name:	Xv65197.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1524038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80880.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	1524039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq36137.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1524040  
Old 10-27-2010, 02:53 PM
plane-addict

Ok, then it's pretty easy. You just need to get a single cell lipo. All lipo's have the same specifications: 1 cell = 3.7V nominal voltage, 4.2V max voltage and 3.0V minimum voltage. Higher than 4.2 and lower than 3.0V will damage the cell. If you don't measure any voltage at all, then most likely yours is damaged.

So, you just need to get a single cell lipo battery. I am not sure where you can get them. If you can't get single cells, then try a 2-cell pack that you disassemble.

Edit: Get something that is close to 950mAh or 950mAh exactly.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:10 PM
pilot error

That is what I was going to try, i have an old 1000mah 3cell that i could split, but the thing is, there are three wires coming from the old camera lipo, so any idea weather I connect the third wire to + or -?
I'd be happy if it was this easy mate lol
Old 10-27-2010, 03:40 PM
plane-addict

Since the current lipo is defective, you could you open it up and try to find out where the 3rd wire is coming from. Can you post a picture of that?
Old 10-27-2010, 04:10 PM
pilot error

If you look at the third pic in my above post you can see the three solder points on the board at the top of the lipo, the wires are in the order of red, yellow then black, it's strange for a single cell lipo to have the three wires?
Thanks dude.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:23 PM
plane-addict

I am a little confused about the 3 wired. Normally 3 wires are used with 2 cell lipo batteries. Could it be that there is some kind of charging circuit on the battery where the wires are coming from?
Old 10-27-2010, 04:29 PM
plane-addict

You could try to apply 3V to the aiptek with 2 AA or AAA size batteries. Be careful that you don't mix up polarity. Check your first image, there is red on the outer left pin and black at the outer right pin.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:32 PM
pilot error

Ok hang on this confusing, Your right about some kind of charge circuit attached.. just getting pics now..
Old 10-27-2010, 04:37 PM
pilot error

Ok here is a macro shot of the board with yellow tape removed to reveal some components attached to the lipo points..

I think i could just de-solder the whole board and re-solder it to a fresh single cell?

Name:	Zx70366.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1524140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97530.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1524141  
Old 10-28-2010, 12:58 AM
plane-addict

Good morning.

Yes, I think that should work. The little pcb is soldered at just 2 points, right?

Edit: You might need some special aluminium solder

Old 10-28-2010, 01:31 AM
nicelife2010
Banned

ORIGINAL: plane-addict

Good morning.

Yes, I think that should work. The little pcb is soldered at just 2 points, right?

Edit: You might need some special aluminium solder

special aluminium solder???
Old 10-28-2010, 06:46 AM
pilot error

Yes i will have to pick up an aluminum solder pack with flux on e-bay lol
Hope this works as I have lots of three cell pipo's with a dead cell..
Thanks for your help plane-addict

Will chime back when the solder arrives and I have tried it lol
Old 10-28-2010, 06:48 AM
pilot error

Yes, some lipo's tabs are soldered with aluminum and some with nickel, so some times regular tin/lead solder might look like it works but can just break away, usually when you least expect it lol
Old 10-31-2010, 02:10 AM
beladog

hi,
don't wanna just drop in here on you fun project but thought I may be able to help.
I have converted a few Aipteks for fpv and sell them over on that other site. [link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1316230[/link]
I can tell you that the mid lead you are concerned about is USELESS. It was installed on a small chip board and is patched to a small resister off the neg lead. It serves no purpose unless your camera has a low voltage indicator, which I dont believe it does.
What I do for my cameras is wire a lead to the outside tabs on the camera (right + left -) and install a servo or JST connector on the other end. You can now plug your cam directly into your receiver (5.1VMax) and power your cam off the flight battery. They draw a really small amount of juice, at least the big brothers do, (AHD Pro/plus etc etc) in the range of 150 to 200 MAh.
If you want to use the cam outside the plane I have about twenty batteries lying around here I could send you a replacement one if you want. They will drop right in the stock loca and would be an easy fix. I also have some 1200MAh that are the same size but will run about twice as long.
best,
Jake
Old 10-31-2010, 10:18 AM
pilot error

ORIGINAL: beladog

hi,
don't wanna just drop in here on you fun project but thought I may be able to help.
I have converted a few Aipteks for fpv and sell them over on that other site. [link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1316230[/link]
I can tell you that the mid lead you are concerned about is USELESS. It was installed on a small chip board and is patched to a small resister off the neg lead. It serves no purpose unless your camera has a low voltage indicator, which I dont believe it does.
What I do for my cameras is wire a lead to the outside tabs on the camera (right + left -) and install a servo or JST connector on the other end. You can now plug your cam directly into your receiver (5.1VMax) and power your cam off the flight battery. They draw a really small amount of juice, at least the big brothers do, (AHD Pro/plus etc etc) in the range of 150 to 200 MAh.
If you want to use the cam outside the plane I have about twenty batteries lying around here I could send you a replacement one if you want. They will drop right in the stock loca and would be an easy fix. I also have some 1200MAh that are the same size but will run about twice as long.
best,
Jake
c

Wow sounds like your really into this lol I tried to make a single cell for it yesterday, i split a fully charged 2 cell, only to get a reading of 1.2 volts in each of the cells once they were apart? so not sure what happened there, all new territory for me, and lipo's scare me, i accidently sliced into a 2200mah with a scalpel and it released a stinky chemical, out the window it went, not tried it again yet.
That's great you have some spare lipo's, that I would be grateful to arrange it somehow, PM?
Never thought about using the receiver power lol
Ah technology, where would we be without it?
Old 11-22-2010, 07:22 AM
pilot error

Hi Jake,
Well i'm still without a lipo for the trioHD, so if you want to sell a lipo, 1200 mah sounds good, I'd like to buy!
I loved the footage I got from the trio, shame it just sits on a shelf lol
Thanks again,
Chris.

ORIGINAL: pilot error

ORIGINAL: beladog

hi,
best,
Jake
c

Old 12-29-2010, 03:18 AM
freshbreeze2

Hi.
Im having the same problem with my battery,could you tell me which battery you got.I asked beladog which battery he sent you but he wasent sure.I see some on ebay for ipods that might work but not sure.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:41 AM
pilot error

Hi fresh,

Sadly I never did find a replacement lipo, believe me i searched for weeks to no avail, nor did i receive a lipo from beladog despit his offer, or anyone else..
I tried many lipo's and li-ion's, even tried a spare receiver channel, nothing would power up the trio, so i gave up, I suspect there was another problem other than the lipo,
probably caused by all the fiddling around with power lol
so I would urge you to go carefully if you are trying the same mate!

ps: the battery for the ipod is a 3.7v 950 mah li-ion, not a lipo, i did manage to use that li-ion for another cheap HD cam, have a look at this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Ut2Nmrd4I

Good luck with yours
Old 12-29-2010, 05:04 AM
freshbreeze2

I have put another lipo from a small helli just to get me by for now.it seems fine but it wont charge via usb port.looks like that yellow wire is for that because when i touch it of the usb connection it shows charge light on.But another problem is when i switch sometimes to camera  it just dies on me and wont start up at all. .looks like a problem ln the mother board.botom line its a piece of crap!!
Old 12-29-2010, 06:17 AM
pilot error

Same way mine went, i think it's a great cam, let down by the lipo, the lipo for the cam has a small board attached that controls the charge power thats why a single cell lipo has three wires, and there in lies the problem, you can try the li-ion's for the iphone!
If it's for sale i may take it for even more spare parts lol

The sony webbie is next on my list before i get the go-pro HD, they both record in 1080p
the webbie is a third of the price of the go-pro!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:00 AM
beladog

Hi guys. Sorry i have not visited this thread in awhile and received no emails or pms so the only way I knew there was an inquiry was when FreshBreeze contacted me at RCG.
I do have batteries and would be happy to send a few out. The cameras I "convert" will accept any size 1s battery because I remove the cameras board from the outer case to make them lighter and give the overall form factor a more plane accommodating shape.
If you would like one of these batteries I will ask you PM me at RCG so I will actually see the request.
Any 1s battery in any MAh above 700MAh will work for these cameras. If you have tried this already and the camera still does not work than the batteries I have will not work either.
best wishes and more patience to you all.
Jake