Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

throttle channel use mandatory?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:01 AM
kebuttke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle channel use mandatory?

ok, i have an unusual question. RC Gods, please be gentle. . . (the following DOES pertain to fpv!)

do i have to use channel 3(or whatever channel, im looking to move up in radios, still applicable to the spirit of this post) on a futaba 6 channel receiver as the throttle channel? my thinking is that i could use the left stick for pan and tilt of camera and use a dial for the throttle. if not inherently possible, is there a workaround? they are just potentiometers, yes? so with a switch of the wire from throttle stick to a knob, could it be done?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:49 AM
cmoulder

Default RE: throttle channel use mandatory?

You can use another channel, such as ch5 which is often used for flaps.

If it is electric powered, just make good and darn sure you first check the motor direction, end points and slider direction without a propeller attached. Also, with our use of the sticks firmly ingrained in our muscle memory, it will take a while to get used to the fact that the throttle stick is no longer the throttle stick. Easy to get crossed up on those first few flights.

You are going to find that with anything more than a basic set-up you're going to be extremely limited with what you can do with 6 channels.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:11 AM
kebuttke

It is a flying wing, so the throttle knob wouldn't be a big deal. I see what you are saying though. If using another channel, programming might be a little difficult. A thought about throttle failsafe, may not function properly.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:26 AM
cmoulder

Somewhat easier with a flying wing:

ch1 - right ailevator
ch6 - left ailevator
ch3 - tilt
ch4 - pan
ch5 - throttle (consider whether slider might be better than a knob)

use the ailevator mix and you're all set