Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Complete onboard camera...What to get

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Complete onboard camera...What to get

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 07:17 AM
SwaziNev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete onboard camera...What to get

Hi Guys

I am looking in to getting a complete onboard camera system. I would like some advice as to what is a good system that would have a good range of about 3-5 miles and be very reliable. Are there any current users that would be prepared to share some information/Knowledge, tips? Also the pros and cons. Price is not an issue, I am looking for reliability and quality. Any information would be appreciated as I live in the sticks and I need to make the right decision before I purchase the system.

Thank you in advance

SwaziNev
Old 08-07-2003, 12:43 PM
closetflyer

Dear SwaziNev,

Will you be using video system for aerial use? This is important question because 3 to 5 mile range is very long way for video system, and will most likely require high gain antenna on ground, which then must be pointed. This is easy for fixed installation, but harder for mobile application.

If range is truely needed, and application is mobile, then more power on the transmitter the better. http://www.blackwidowav.com has 1 watt transmitter that might satisfy you.

"Dave" over at http://www.auav.net/ has been testing 1 watt blackwidowav transmitter with great results. He talks of results here:

http://groups.msn.com/rccam/general....33456189450059

If I ever need to fly 20 miles away, this is transmitter for me!

David
Old 08-07-2003, 12:58 PM
SwaziNev

Hi David

Thanks for the response. Yes it is for aerial use. Okay based on what you explained then I should be looking at 1 mile - 2 miles maximum. I see some offer an Rx that has to be pointed. Would an omni directional antenna work for such an application.
I will head across and look at the two sites.

Regards

Nevile
Old 08-09-2003, 01:13 PM
closetflyer

Dave of AUAV.NET used a 15dbi omni antenna... I figure must be of colinear design to get such high gain and still call "omni".

This kind of antenna has coverage in donut shape centered on the rx antenna. Good for flying far away and low, but bad for flying high overhead.

Hope that helps!

David