Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Which 2.4GHz Patch receiver antenna to get???

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Which 2.4GHz Patch receiver antenna to get???

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 05:48 AM
charrua
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 2.4GHz Patch receiver antenna to get???

I finally got a 2.4GHz D/L and I'm pretty happy with it but I'm still getting a lot of glitches everything seems to be tight,, and for now I'm testing it on a Slow Stick,,Picture quality it's awesome more than I expected and Range seems to be pretty good too,,,but I'm getting signal glitches even at 10 ft away it's like if there was loose cables but it doesn't look like it.
The glitches are not loose of signal but more like interference!!!
What am I doing wrong????

So I'm now looking to get a Patch antenna to see if that helps so which one to get or what's the difference between the 8db nd 14db that I've seen???

This is the last video I made now with the new camera... [link=http://whiteknuckleairlines.com/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=26&page=view&catid=9&PageNo=1&key=5&hit=1]Second Aerial Video!!![/link]
Old 06-13-2007, 06:09 AM
derftl56
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Which 2.4GHz Patch receiver antenna to get???

Make sure you are not around any one else that might be use any 2.4 ghz. This can and will cause you to have interference on your unit. That can include phones, lap tops anyhing that uses 2.4.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:01 AM
moogly

I run into the same thing its mutipath (the signal hiting the anntena 1st time and then a Millisec later it gets the same signal)
make sure you antenna is as far away from refective object as possable
I bought the 14bdi patch fron range vid and returned it for the 8dbi its not all about gain but also beam with a narrow beam will give you great gain but unless you can keep it pointed at the plane its not so great I use there 8dbi and it works pretty well but its never perfect. you can see some of my video one showing the set up @ www.putfile.com/mbren there a bunch of family stuff to so just look for the aerial videos
Old 06-13-2007, 03:06 PM
charrua

ahh I see so that's probably what it was my test flight was just inside my neighbouhood,,,mmm I should have bought the patch antenna at the same time,,I'll go ahead and get the 8db antenna then.
I'll try to post a video as soon as I can get this thing working right!!!!
Old 06-14-2007, 05:38 AM
charrua

well yesterday I got a different battery to run the D/L and I was still getting the interference,, I just purchased the patch antenna to see if it does any better I cant wait to start getting better signal quality toget some aerial videos,,,I think it would be nice since the Picture quality of that little camera it's awsome,,I would say almos as good as my DV Camera!!!
Old 06-14-2007, 06:09 AM
moogly

Even with the patch you'll get drop outs but if you are going from a whip anntena to a patch it should be alot better
some drops are normal
I know i used a 90 walmart web camera (cmos) at 1st and when I got my new one sony 420 fron future I could not beleive it
some of my old videos one @www.putfile.com/mbren are from my old one probably the 1st 5 or so and man what a difference
I just with these sites rcu, putfile ect .. would not commpress the snot out of the they look so good on computer or DVD
Old 06-14-2007, 04:09 PM
charrua

well the thing was I wasnt getting drop out but a pretty steady interference but I could still see the picture it was more loike interference,,,and it starts at about 10ft away,,I'm wondering now if the TX and RX are in the same channlel??

How do you change the channel on the TX D/L????
Old 06-14-2007, 06:20 PM
moogly

that dependes on the tx /rx you have mine from future you can change it at both the tx / rx @ THE TX ITS A SWITCH AT THE RX IT A BUTTON
IF YOUR GETTING ANY DECENT PICTURE YOU ARE PROBABLY ON THE RIGHT CHANNEL
Old 06-14-2007, 06:54 PM
charrua

aah yes the picture quality it's awsome but when I take it to about 10 ft away starts getting that interference!!!mmm I dont know we'll se how it does when I get the patch antenna
Old 06-15-2007, 07:54 PM
charrua

Ok I got my patch antenna but I still was getting interference flying arround my house,,I decided to test it at the field and everything was gone so I it had to be some bad interference just where I live.

Awsome picture qualty,,I even got to fly the Slow stick by just looking at the screen,,hehehehe but not for too long!!!!! as long as I didnt turn I was ok,,,I love it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be making a video soon!!!!
Old 06-15-2007, 10:05 PM
moogly

Great to here it have fun it's A great time
and i want to see some video
Old 06-16-2007, 08:25 AM
charrua

as soon as I get the extra cable I need to conect my DVD Player to my DV Camera I can start recording some!!!!!

I ended up instaling a himax 2015-4100 but I'm getting a lot of vivration on the plane and you can see it on the video so I'm gonna have to go back to the outrunner!!!!
Old 06-16-2007, 09:46 AM
JMSTECH

Every time you turn you lose signal? Make sure you point your 8db patch at the general direction of your plane. Even though the reception beam is wider than the 14db, it still has a zone where there is no contact to the TX.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:48 AM
moogly

Really thats the motor I use and i don't seem to have much problem are you props balanced and the shft straight I had a bent shaft slight but enough to cause vibration
and when I had the camera on the wind it was wild what camera did you buy (range video? future)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47399.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	704959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27322.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	704960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97650.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	704961  
Old 06-16-2007, 09:53 AM
moogly

so true i think the only way around that is possably a circular polerized anntena and even then you still would have mutipath
Old 06-16-2007, 02:47 PM
charrua

yes I ended up giving Range video another chance after my first attepmt at buying from him!!!

But this time I'm very happy with everything I got and got a reply back to every email I send him so I got nothing to say but good things now.

Talking about the einterference maybe I should go to the moon or mars and fly there where there's aplace on earth that you wont run into wifi interference???? hehhe

I think you are right the prop I was using it was kind of bad shape I got some new ones and I'll try tonight hopefully I'll get some footage of it..

I installed a friends eflite 370 outrunner and it did better but it started getting some viration also a little bit.

I ordered a hacker 20020l to install instead of the himax,,I like ourunner better,,I love the himax but nothing like an outrunner!!!
Old 06-16-2007, 02:49 PM
charrua

ohh her esome pics of my setup!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77896.jpg
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	705137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48183.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	705138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49363.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	705139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37429.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	705140  
Old 06-16-2007, 07:30 PM
JMSTECH

Another question... are you separating your A/V video power from the planes power? I had an issue in the past where I used to share plane and video power source with one battery. On the bench it was fine, but as soon it was in flight... static video city. Although, I have to agree with your layout over all; keeping the video tx far away to the ESC and planes RX, balancing the camera with a/v tx - well laid out considering your limited options as to where to place things in your plane.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:27 PM
charrua

yes I am you can see on the first picture I have a 3SP 1320 right behind the motor for the ESC and I have a 2sp 910 right on the CG on top of the wing,,,the only thing I found I dont like about what I did was the angle on the camera,,it's way angled down,,it's cool when flying on top of hoouses but I flew today on an empty field and pretty much all I saw was the ground most of the time,,,another thing I noticed a vivration I was mentioning before it's not due to motor vivration but due to the wing flexing up and down with the wind speed so if I keep the camera there I need to put a CF rod on top of the wing so it wont flex as bad.

My 3rd flight I moved the camera right on top og the wing and hold it with the rubber bands for the wing,,I found that it doesntvivrate or shake as bad as on the wing tip, but the angle wasnt so good it should have been pointing down more.

Next time I will use the camera C holder that came with it and I will install it under the frame maybe right by the TE of the wing and I will play with different angles til I get something I like.

I got about 20+ minutes of video today and it was awsome,,,but I forgot to plug the audio cable so I dont have audio[],,man I got to fly by watching just the screen for a long time it so fun!!!

I'm off to start editing the video,,I'll post a link as soon as it's ready!!! man I love this thing!!!!
Old 06-16-2007, 08:30 PM
moogly

you may want to mount the tx so the antenna is pointing down it may help with your signal?
and I went back to mounting the camera on the fuseulage (HA HA) stick
Old 06-16-2007, 08:33 PM
charrua

I got to tell you I didnt loose my signal not even once and I took my plane pretty high up and out til I started getting glitches on my Airplane RX,,, all my interference problem are arround my house in my hood!!!

This is the 2nd different field Iflew and it was just fine,,,I got to test the stock whip antenna to see how good it does but I'm pretty sure it should do just fine,, you will se on the video I'm making.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:58 AM
JMSTECH

Hey you forgot to connect the audio cable? It's not as bad as forgetting to click the record icon on a laptop! I had a awesome flight a few weeks ago, about 2.5 - 3 Km high and away. I saw two lakes (first time) and the land looked like little tiny patches of various greens and browns. Stupid me got so excited on the first flight and forgot to record the second flight which was most scenic. Can't do it now since a few days after I lost the plane in some pine trees during a high altitude flight The main wing broke off on my Twinstar and ripped out all the wiring, no camera TX, no radio control, no sound of my new Hyperion brushless motors winning. All I can see was the plane floating like a dry leaf into the pine forest. bummer!

But I look forward to watching your video though. I always enjoy watching a new VP (video piloting) flick! I can never get tired it!!!!!
Old 06-17-2007, 10:08 AM
charrua

Sorry for your lost,,and I also love aerial videos an photography,,
I just mounted a servo to the camera and mounted it behind the LE of the wing and on the bottom of the fuse,,I'm about to go aouside and get some more video arround the house but I'm pretty sure I'll get lots of interferences arround here!!!
Old 06-17-2007, 11:23 AM
charrua

[link=http://whiteknuckleairlines.com/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=26&page=view&catid=9&PageNo=1&key=4&hit=1]slow Stick 1st Aerial video!!![/link]
Old 06-17-2007, 10:05 PM
JMSTECH

Hey Charrua,

Nice video!!!! Everything was perfect! Your lighting condition, the down link signal, I'm happy for your success! I know what you mean now in regards to your camera location on the first video shot; not ideal for flying by video goggle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.