Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Open Ltr to those Who Post Vids

Old 08-21-2011, 06:22 AM
roaddog2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open Ltr to those Who Post Vids

A small rant...
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Mk26103.txt (3.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 08-22-2011, 05:51 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Open Ltr to those Who Post Vids

There is absolutely no way I'm going to open an attachment with a txt label in a forum from an unknown person. Even if I knew the person, there is no assurance that his/her antivirus is up to date, or where have they been "visiting" on the internet.

Open that file yourself, and post the text on the forum directly. That way you are going to get more views and have a better discussion.

Rafael
Old 09-26-2011, 08:04 PM
starcad
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Rafael23cc

There is absolutely no way I'm going to open an attachment with a txt label in a forum from an unknown person. Even if I knew the person, there is no assurance that his/her antivirus is up to date, or where have they been ''visiting'' on the internet.

Open that file yourself, and post the text on the forum directly. That way you are going to get more views and have a better discussion.

Rafael
Very smart move and I advise everyone else to do the same.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:03 PM
g3f0rc3
My Feedback: (1)

Here ill open it for you

Copied and pasted.. Hehe I have no fear.... I am a super computer sudo- hacker geek and there is no virus you silly people
Bear with the man. He had a stroke. I know how you feel 'original poster' I had an ischemic stroke 2 years ago at 22 years old not fun . helping op out.

His letter:

An Open Letter to Those Who Post Videos of Their A/C

I have to preface this with a disclaimer or two.

The 1st being, I don’t fly… YET. A stroke in ’04 put my whole R side outta action. I’m getting’ it back, slowly. But I know aircraft better than fairly well.
The second being, I don’t even own a video cam. I do stills; see: http://www.timepiecephoto.com and http://www.timepiecephoto2.com .

I DO however collect RC vids, ‘got about 80-odd Cd’s/DVD’s, full of RC plane vids. And a few boat vids thrown into th’ mix; they interest me, too.

Aside from equipment limitations and the resultant lack/loss of quality, which I’m sure can’t be helped, one goes with whoever has whatever and hopes for th’ best; there are things I’ve noticed thru viewing many, many hundreds of vids. I’ll run a few by you here.

It’s understood that you fuel th’ plane before you fly it! And, excuse me, but that’s a singularly BORING operation to watch. I’ve seen SO MANY that include that, and other “set-up” details as part of their “Flight Video”.
If that’s what you want in your video, it’s certainly your right to include it. But It’s not what I want to see when I click to D/L a vid of that A/C. And enough o’ that will get it dumped from inclusion in MY collection. If you feel it’s necessary, OK; just limit it to 10 sec. or so. OR do a double-speed segment of set-up/fueling, then normal-speed for th’ flying. THAT’s what we came for!

This next bit is aimed at th’ Pilots. And I’m speaking here to SCALE Pilots. If you’re flying a Cub, fly it like a Cub! Unless you’re a Hempel, they DON’T hover! And they don’t go vertical 3’ off th’ ground. If you’re flying a fighter, cool! Fly it like a fighter! But be careful of the era; all fighters didn’t make the steep climbing take-offs I see so many make in their vids. In th’ full-scale, you didn’t ,as a rule, waste that fuel. A routine “best-rate of climb” throttle setting got you to altitude quickly enough, thank-you-very-much.

And the next logical point is landings. Full-scale practice is to “put ‘er on the numbers”. ‘Especially so with military types. A: It was a point of Pride in one’s airmanship; and B: It leaves the most possible runway in which to deal w/any problems. And C: It gets you off the “active” as quickly as possible so anyone behind you w/a problem can be dealt with by the tower expeditiously. ‘A matter of courtesy.
So few RC pilots practice this. As stated, I don’t fly, yet. So I haven’t the experience to address this from that standpoint; but after all aren’t we trying to emulate the full-scale w/our RC stuff? ‘Especially when we’re “showing off” in a video?

The rest is all “maneuvers”; and if the airframe is capable, go for it. Chances are you’re not gonna hover a Jenny, but whatever blows y’r skirts up! And speakin’ of hovering, there are limits to how much of that I’ll waste time watching, too. I admire the ability, but once it’s been demonstrated, move th’ show along! I ,by far, more greatly admire a rolling circle than a hover. (with or w/o smoke!)

The rest of this li’l rant is for the guys drivin’ th’ cam, and of necessity involves th’ pilot. If your video is largely of a speck in the distance, one of you needs to make SOME kind of adjustment! And if the subject is out of the frame, I KNOW who’s t’ blame! As I said earlier, I have a fair amount of tolerance for th’ use of less than “primo” equipment; so if th’ plane goes out of focus on a close pass, I understand. I DO have a problem when it’s “at a bit of range” and won’t hold focus. You need better gear.
We can’t all be Plane Video Art, whom I admire greatly; but these are things that CAN be fixed, with th’ gear you have. And they’re what I look for in a video when I add it to my collection.

Regards, all!
RD
Old 10-11-2011, 06:12 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

g3f0rc3:

Thanks for taking the initiative and risk of opening the letter. I wanted to see what was in there, but i was not willing to take the risk of infecting the computers I work with....

roaddog2:

You make some good and valid points. Having said that, let's talk AFTER you get your hands on a controller, and put your eye behind a video camera to tape some of these flights. You might find it very interesting......

No more comments.

Rafael