Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Need advice on wirelessvideo system.

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Need advice on wirelessvideo system.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 07:45 PM
jaywebguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on wirelessvideo system.

I have around $250.00 to spend on a wireless video system that I want to put on my ultra stick 40. I've searched the web and now I'm a bit confused where to get started.

I don't wont to brake any laws and don't really want to deal with getting a Hams license right now. Can you guys recommend a system for me? Maybe give a couple examples or links to some complete setups?

Thank you
Old 08-20-2003, 08:55 PM
mr.rc-cam

From what I have seen, you will not find a satisfactory system for R/C wireless aerial apps that is "license free" and within your budget. I suggest that you obtain your ham license and use one of the systems that is available to amateur radio users. There are endless lower cost opportunities if you do so. Budget about $200 for a Tx, Rx, and color CCD camera. If you do not want to solder anything then "ready-to-use" systems are a bit more.

This stuff is NOT as plug-n-play as you might think. The technical and operational information you learn while studying for the ham license WILL help you obtain better results from your video gear. A tiny bit of RF theory goes a long way in this hobby.

More ham info: www.arrl.com
Old 08-20-2003, 09:38 PM
jaywebguy

So would I only be required to obtain the "Technical class" licenses then to broadcast wireless video from my plane?
Old 08-20-2003, 09:40 PM
mr.rc-cam

That's all. No code required.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:02 AM
Billiam411

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what frequency range is the technical Class liscence required?
Old 08-21-2003, 01:23 AM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Originally posted by Billiam411
For what frequency range is the technical Class liscence required?
The frequency allocations for Amateur Radio can be found at:
Frequency allocation for amateur radio
For what its worth, my Supercircuits 900mhz system operates @ 910mhz.
Also, you need a technician license or above to operate on 2.39-2.45ghz. So the legal eagles pointing out the illegalities of the 1.2ghz systems and recommending the 2.4ghz systems might want to check to see if THEIR systems are running legal.
Just a thought...
Old 08-21-2003, 02:55 PM
jaywebguy

Originally posted by mr.rc-cam
That's all. No code required.
What type or wireless video system do you use?
Old 08-21-2003, 04:14 PM
mr.rc-cam

Originally posted by jaywebguy
What type or wireless video system do you use?
My stuff tends to be heavily modified and/or custom made. For sure, you wont find my creations in a catalog.

Recently I have detoured from R/C wireless video and have had a blast with mounting digital still cameras on small electric aircraft. I really enjoy the high quality images. For some reason the digital prints are favored by my family and friends (R/C aerial movies all start looking alike after awhile, at least to non-R/C'ers). Print quality from a decent 2 or 3 megapixel CCD camera is amazing. Below is a low-medium resolution image of my wife's office (photo taken from a stock Soarstar using an 8-cell pack).

If you are looking for general advice, I suggest you look for a video Tx that provides 50mW to 100mW RF (using an approved ham band), a decent color CCD camera (Panasonic CX161 is the favored choice), a PLL based high gain Rx (avoid those with tuning knobs!), a ground plane Tx antenna, and good 4-6dBi patch antenna on the Rx. Properly implemented, these basic elements will provide a good/reliable system for general R/C aerial use.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	103440_9687.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	58174  
Old 08-22-2003, 11:27 PM
billmi

Originally posted by jaywebguy
So would I only be required to obtain the "Technical class" licenses then to broadcast wireless video from my plane?
I do not have the Technical license, but when I looked into it for the purposes of wireless video, some of the stipulations (i.e. the license identification requirements that have to be done at regular intervals) looked to me like being legal would also require having a text generator on board to overlay your license number on the video, or at least display it as a slate at regular intervals. I'm sure a HAM that's current on Amateur TV requirements could fill in more details.

-Bill
Old 08-22-2003, 11:37 PM
Fubar-One

Originally posted by billmi
I do not have the Technical license, but when I looked into it for the purposes of wireless video, some of the stipulations (i.e. the license identification requirements that have to be done at regular intervals) looked to me like being legal would also require having a text generator on board to overlay your license number on the video, or at least display it as a slate at regular intervals. I'm sure a HAM that's current on Amateur TV requirements could fill in more details.

-Bill
From what I understand you can just flash a card with your call letters at the beginning of the transmission and put your call letters where the camera can see em during your transmission.
I have some stick on labels that I will be putting on the fuse of my Kadet Senior both at the nose and tail where the camera can view them.
Flashing the card at the beginning probably isnt necessary, its just what somebody else told me they do.

KE6ERB TV
Old 08-23-2003, 12:16 AM
mr.rc-cam

The text generator method (OSD) is popular and opens up other telemetry possibilities.

However, you can hold up a simple paper sign every 10 minutes and at the signoff. Or, with systems that have an audio subcarrier channel, you can merely speak your call letters into the mic.

As you can see, some of these lower cost methods are not always convenient. However, you can place your call letters in camera view on the model. To automate your call sign with an audio recording, please see: http://www.rc-cam.com/hamcam.htm
Old 08-27-2003, 12:17 AM
egor

Ok So lets for the heck of it say I have a plane say an lt-40 and I want to set up a live video looking out the bottom, so that if a plane goes down in a corn or bean field, I or someone else can fly this plane over the field and locate the downed plane and providing mother nature is willing and a slight breeze can be had hover over the downed plane and direct people on the ground by means of cheap walky-talky type radio to the downed aircraft, their's not a snowballs chance in hell of doing it legaly without a ham license

egor
Old 08-27-2003, 09:54 PM
Quacker

So...I could care less about HAM stuff. Still, I wanted to get my license so my airborne video adventures would be nice and legal. I have to admit, the test was easy to study for and easy to pass. More: I actually learned some interesting and usefull stuff. I just kept taking the online practice test at www.qrz.com until I always passed. Then, I took the real one given in my local area.

I also found the very simplest way to display my call sign. I put the letters on the back of one blade of my propeller and let the camera see the prop. Every so often, KC0MVX catches up with the frame rate and the call sign is easliy seen.

Q
Old 08-27-2003, 11:13 PM
Fubar-One

Originally posted by Quacker

I also found the very simplest way to display my call sign. I put the letters on the back of one blade of my propeller and let the camera see the prop. Every so often, KC0MVX catches up with the frame rate and the call sign is easliy seen.

Q
Hey, thats a pretty slick idea! I gotta try that.