Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Help a newbie!

I'm a long time rc pilot, rc jets, giant scale and even fly a TRex 600. I'm also a professional photographer for a good decade. But arial photography from an rc point of view is totally new to me. I usually hook up my Kenlab gyro and jump in the JetRanger. So currently I'm building up a Scarab YSiixKopta and was looking for some advice. Two things that come to mind. One would be a good camera mount with active stabilization. As for the camera body, it doesn't really matter as I'll just buy what's required. I don't expect the Scarab to be able to lift my D3x or D3s Nikons lol! The other is some form of flight automation. I've seen good helicopter pilots get into trouble at high altitude and windy conditions. Getting back to the ground is harder than you'd think when you're a speck in the sky. I've read about flight systems that will auto land, but have no product knowledge what so ever. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Help a newbie!

Hi, here is a photo of a SCARAB with a GoPro hero mounted on it. I highly recommend the Hero, it has great image stabilizer and a wide angle lens. Here is a link to buy it, I am pretty sure it's the same as mine(there's a few different models)
    www.amazon.com/GoPro-CHDMH-001-HD-Motorsports-Hero/dp/B002VA57XC/ref=sr_1_1

Gabe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us53876.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	1739959  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Help a newbie!

Thanks Gabe, I think we must be on the same wavelength lol! That's exactly what I built except I mounted a Sony Nex5n to the undercarriage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn37311.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	1740495   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Je99181.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	1740496