Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

GoPro HD 2 & HK Bixler ARF- upgrades needed?

Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

GoPro HD 2 & HK Bixler ARF- upgrades needed?

Old 01-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Gartooth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GoPro HD 2 & HK Bixler ARF- upgrades needed?

Hello. I am new to this forum and new to RC Flight so I hope I am posting myquestion(s) in the right format and on the right board.

I am planning to purchase a HK Bixler ARF plane (Easystar clone)and outfitting it withmy GoPro HD 2.

I have seen some youtube videos and read some posts suggesting an need to upgrade the Bixler with bigger battery, better prop, different transmitter, etc... to improve performance.

My question(s) are, is the stock ARF plane and HK's recomended transmitter adequate to carry the GoPro, or are there some upgrades that are really worth putting on the plane, given the added weight of the camera? If so, specifically what would you folks recommend?

1. Battery(s)
2. Prop
3. Transmitter
4. ESC
5. Others

Thanks in advance,
Casey
Old 02-20-2012, 05:35 PM
gepspop

Default RE: GoPro HD 2 & HK Bixler ARF- upgrades needed?

6X4 prop upgrade is a great start along with a 2.2 3s battery...
Old 02-20-2012, 05:54 PM
gepspop

One more tip is there are washers hotglued in the nose of the bixler. Remove them by pouring hot water into the nose then after a minute or so grab them with some needle nose pliers. Now you can mount your 2200 batteries far forward in the nose and the plane will balance well.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:14 PM
hankster75

Bixler upgrades
HobbyKing has come out with an "upgraded" Bixler 2 sailplane and the videos I've seen are most impressive.  HK has apparently learned from the original Bixler design and made significant changes.  They include a longer nose (to move the batteries forward) and in turn moved the CG forward (a problem with the original Bixler).  Also they increased the wing area, allowing increased battery weight and FPV capacity, and added real hinges to the rudder and elevator (they were getting beat-up by the prop wash). They also increased the tail length.
I placed my order for a plane "kit" for just under $40.00 US today and will let you all know how it works out.