Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Help a newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:08 AM
shaunrbell
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a newbie!

I'm a long time rc pilot, rc jets, giant scale and even fly a TRex 600. I'm also a professional photographer for a good decade. But arial photography from an rc point of view is totally new to me. I usually hook up my Kenlab gyro and jump in the JetRanger. So currently I'm building up a Scarab YSiixKopta and was looking for some advice. Two things that come to mind. One would be a good camera mount with active stabilization. As for the camera body, it doesn't really matter as I'll just buy what's required. I don't expect the Scarab to be able to lift my D3x or D3s Nikons lol! The other is some form of flight automation. I've seen good helicopter pilots get into trouble at high altitude and windy conditions. Getting back to the ground is harder than you'd think when you're a speck in the sky. I've read about flight systems that will auto land, but have no product knowledge what so ever. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-17-2012, 07:18 PM
badbug

Default RE: Help a newbie!

Hi, here is a photo of a SCARAB with a GoPro hero mounted on it. I highly recommend the Hero, it has great image stabilizer and a wide angle lens. Here is a link to buy it, I am pretty sure it's the same as mine(there's a few different models)
www.amazon.com/GoPro-CHDMH-001-HD-Motorsports-Hero/dp/B002VA57XC/ref=sr_1_1

Gabe.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53876.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	1739959  
Old 03-19-2012, 07:39 AM
shaunrbell
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Help a newbie!

Thanks Gabe, I think we must be on the same wavelength lol! That's exactly what I built except I mounted a Sony Nex5n to the undercarriage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37311.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	1740495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99181.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1740496