Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FPV for Search & Rescue mission

Hi all,
    I need some help please! I work in marine firefighting & rescue. I'm planning to build a rescue UAV to help us locate victims at sea. I'm thinking of useing SKYWALKER as the platform for its ability to be hand launched and easy landings "may float if it lands on water"!!
    few things I need to know first:
    * whats the max wind speed it could handle? "fly in"
    * what is the best coast effective AUTO PILOT with way points sys. Because not all of the guys have the skill to fly!
    * how to extend the radio control range?
    * what is the best set-up for this project?

Your help is highly appreceiated!!
    Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: FPV for Search & Rescue mission

Your standard radio will already exceed your line of sight range.

But, if you are asking how to autonomously fly a plane via GPS beyond line of sight, you are treading on very dangerous ground.

As a person who enjoys this hobby, that's not information I'd share and hope that anyone else would do the same. What you are asking could potentially turn an RC plane into a weapon. And even if that is not your intention - posting that kind of information on a public message board would allow anyone access to that info.

Nope, won't touch this subject with a 10' pole.
    The mathematician sees the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. The engineer sees it as full with a Safety Factor of 2.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Gravityisnotmyfriend

Your standard radio will already exceed your line of sight range.

But, if you are asking how to autonomously fly a plane via GPS beyond line of sight, you are treading on very dangerous ground.

As a person who enjoys this hobby, that's not information I'd share and hope that anyone else would do the same. What you are asking could potentially turn an RC plane into a weapon. And even if that is not your intention - posting that kind of information on a public message board would allow anyone access to that info.
    Nope, won't touch this subject with a 10' pole.
    Thank You for sharing this!
    But believe me, now adays you can build a nuke from the internet as easy as drinking water! but my intentions are SAVINGLIVE's! And I know a bit of what I want. But.i'm confused becuase the number of gadgets now adays in the market! So, I need someone to point them out for me to save the moneyand effort of trial'n'error !!

I'm building this project on my own budget! So, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again and with my best regards,,,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What you are contemplating is autonomous flight. If you type in β€œautonomous flight competitions” in your search engine you will come up with tons of links to university competitions. Many are short indoor but there are a few links to out of sight flight.

That being said five things you will have to overcome. Launch from an unstable moving base, recovery to same, platform able to handle high winds and carry enough batteries for time in air, range and location.

Hand launching is marginal some sort of catapult launcher would be more consistent.

Recovery could be a large catch net of some sort as your base would be constantly moving and most likely pitching in rough seas.

Something streamlined and slippery like a glider but capable of handling higher than average speeds with a large enough fuselage to carry everything. Electric twin engine for redundancy, folding props with one engine having enough power to fly the aircraft. This might take the shape of a tandem boom with a larger streamlined center pod with engines in line one puller one pusher. Both engines running on take off to overcome wind and get the aircraft to height. Both engines might be needed to fly into a strong head wind the rest of the time or in case of engine failure one engine could fly the aircraft. On landing into a cargo style net the front engine could be shut down and the pusher engine could fly it into the net.

The platform should be big enough that at least 3 cameras could be employed. One fixed and two operated by separate operators during the search.

Some ideas I have been kicking around for a few years. Like the rest of us if you really want to do this you will have to do the research yourself.

As to making a bomb out of the thing it’s already been tried and isn’t reliable enough to be worth the effort. In most cases the payload is not great enough and targeting is not definitive enough to make use of the small payload.

Using a foam platform for something like this tells me you have little knowledge as to the demands that will be put on such a purpose built airframe. That thing is a toy you will need to build something out of material that will take one hell of a beating and still function.

Dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

there is a big UAV commiunity at RCgroups....

check out DIYdrones.

the APM2 will do what you need.

a small plane with a HD camera flying waypoints is easy to get done.

the easystar is a good simple plane that can fly for 30-40mins if done right

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can also check out this book by Gene Robinson about sUAS and SAR

http://www.suasnews.com/first-to-deploy/

and listen to the podcast
    http://www.blogtalkradio.com/suasnew...irst-to-deploy
    www.rcapa.net

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For future reference, RC guys and UAV/drone guys are not the same. The AMA has actually lobbied successfully for there to be a legal distinction, and truthfully the two interests don't overalap that much. I think it's great what you are looking to do, but the planes that most RC'ers use are designed to fly in a small area for about 10-15 minutes at a time. For a search and rescue plane, I assume you'd be talking about flight times of half an hour minimum, and probably up to an hour preferably? And it has to carry cameras and navigation equipment too? That means rethinking the whole vehicle from wing shape and airfoil to power system and fuselage shape.
    No kid, I said break ground and fly into the wind!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This sounds like an excellent idea, but like it's been said, you might be looking at the wrong platform. I think the idea is great though, and I foresee this being something that we will see happening in the future.
    You may want to go about this with a different approach though which could be more complicated then building it yourself. There are already UAV's that can do this. You just need to figure out who to contact to press forward with this idea, and maybe even let the government foot this bill.
    Being it's helping to save lives while even possibly keeping rescuers safe, and saving resources and money you have allot going in your favor. I would think a specifically designed UAV with thermal imaging, GPS, automation, etc if what you need. Maybe even specifically design launch and recovery vessel to run it from.
    Good luck with your idea, I hope it comes to fruition.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow information he won't share because he thinks your going to blow people up? There is so much info out there on first person view flying it's silly to even say such a thing. Try this site for info and equipment, this guy flys all over the world and if you have not seen his videos they are amazing. http://www.getfpv.com/team-black-sheep.html Good luck, I think it's a great thing your doing.
    If what you believed to be true was false would you want to know the truth?

"You shall know the truth, and the truth will set you free".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This isn't FPV flying like hobbyists do. This is a mission critical, lives are at stake, search and rescue drone. The OP wants auto pilot, probably needs infrared imaging and normal high resolution cameras, and lots of range and loiter time. As stated above, these kinds of vehicles already exist as commercially made drones so the OP should look into one of them. The hobby market is just now starting to get the most rudimentary of these functions in the quadcopter/hexcopter field with GPS guided machines that practically fly themselves. But even then you're only talking about 10 minute flight times on a good day and less than a 1 mile range.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi all,
    Thanks on sharing this knowlge, And sorry for the long absence I had a really bad injury in my both hands wich hold me from replying on the msg's! ... any I came up with this set-up and gear to do the job and I need your advice/opinion on it, if you may please!

the airplane called "US ARMY FPV AIRPLANE" powered with 1100KV motor, prop 10X7, 70A ESC, 3S Lipo 8400mAh, LRS Rmilec, Futaba 9C Tx, 5.8Ghz 400mW video Tx and STORM OSD.

And for the Ground station set-up: 7" LCD monitor, 5.8G Diversity Receiver, MyFlyDream AATracker and 5.8G 12dbi patch antenna.

Also, I have some other video Tx & Rx matching combo! such as 1.2G 200mW Tx Rx with 1.2-1.3GHz Patch antenna 8dbi Gain. And 2.4G Tx Rx as well!

thank you for your support!
    with my best regards.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys How can post pictures in here! [:'(]

THANKS!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds like you have all the parts. I would strongly suggest though you get a good 10-15 hours of flight time on that, especially doing some long range tests to see what your true radius of operation is and become an expert at flying it. At the minimum, you'll need to be able to maintain heading and altitude both through the FPV and direct line of sight, and you'll need to be able to navigate the plane back to yourself as second nature. Good luck with the project.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks jester_s1,

I've been flying since 1992! so, my hands are good on handling airplanes! ;p but I'm realy new to FPV!I will take your advice on the training thoug!

but the main thing is, the video feed always breaking when i bench test it! while i'm useing 5.8Ghz cloverleaf antenna!? also, i need the best set-up for the LRS reciever antenna!

these are my problem for now!

regards,,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ah, so you're not new to this stuff then. I'm sure once you get this thing figured out it will be a handy tool in emergency situations.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

/
    \"IF YOU HAVE TOO MANY AIRPLANES -FLY BOLDLY AND REDUCE YOUR NUMBER\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Click on the link at the bottom of your post that says "Click here to upload images and files! " then select your pics and add them. The system can only handle low res pics and not that many at a time so you will need to post several times if you have alot. Hope you didn't hurt your hands making a bomb
    ORIGINAL: i_fire

Guys How can post pictures in here! [:'(]

THANKS!
    If what you believed to be true was false would you want to know the truth?

"You shall know the truth, and the truth will set you free".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[img]C:\Users\msi\Desktop\DeskToP\FPV\AP1-5.jpg[/img]
    my first try to post a pic!

BTW, Thanks raptureboy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think my first try to post a pic is bad!
    this is the way raptureboy told me about!

these are my gear! the building is on going and pix more to come!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tq48686.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	1820020   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt61319.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	1820021   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dj11494.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	1820022   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cw64041.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	278.7 KB 
ID:	1820023   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oz30837.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	1820024  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wn85859.jpg 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	1820025   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uw41403.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	1820026   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xw36418.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	1820027   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pb25534.jpg 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	1820028   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rx97114.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	226.0 KB 
ID:	1820029  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not much of a search and rescue tool. The aircraft is a toy. Most search and rescue is done in inclement weather this thing will have trouble with a 25 mile breeze. What’s the range less than a mile?????? Rain would render this thing useless and you probably would have to mount a rescue effort to recover it. Rescue missions are hours long and the equipment is expected to function flawlessly for long periods of time. How long will this stay in the air???? Not one bit of redundancy, no second engine, camera anything. First bit of equipment failure and there is a good chance of never finding it again. Not even a homing or locater beacon. You might want to step back and rethink this.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Propworn  what do you suggest?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Airframe completely sealed impervious to penetration by rain, snow, emersion in water etc. Construction robust yet light carbon fiber and epoxy resin. Two engines in line one push one pull electric folding props able to fly well on one engine. Catapult launch able or retracts and rugged enough to be recovered by net entrapment. This would allow deployment from a smaller boat or vehicle in bad terrain. Must be buoyant with homing device in case it goes down or is put down to mark the rescue area. Minimum 3 cameras one for pilot and two observers independently controlled. High aspect wing and very streamlined airframe for max efficiency. Large battery pack smallest workable electronics (camera gimbals etc.) Two complete radio systems with coupled servos so if one system failed the other would be the redundant of the two. At least a 10 mile link video and radio preferably 20 but in poor weather it might be reduced to as little as 5. So far the weight we have calculated is in the 25 to 30 lb range. Wing span, shape etc are proprietary right now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I absolutely love this thread.  This is what I want to do but add night time surveillance and long range microphones.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i agree with propworn on this one. but i would use a flat bottom wing or something along those lines and give it plenty of dyhedral to keep it stable. anywhere between 10 to 20 degrees should do. anymore than that and it would have more difficulty fighting wind gusts.
    Some people smoke crack, i fly R/C helis.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The flat bottom airfoil is not a good choice as when you think about it this will be flying in less than ideal conditions of strong winds and high gusts. More in the realm of slope soaring conditions. High penetration foils like HN 1003, 852, 947, or MH 32 or even a JH8 would be more appropriate. Because of sever flying conditions any access dihedral would be a hindrance. The airframe would utilize self stabilizing enhancements eliminating the need for this.

At this time a highly modified slope soaring platform seems to offer the most realistic solution to all weather conditions. Use of trailing edge flaps/ailerons would allow camber changing to allow for slower flight in good conditions or to more thoroughly scan the terrain.

This new drone controversy is some what concerning.

Dennis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast