Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

First GoPro Flight

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Chevelle
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First GoPro Flight

Hi. Last fall Itried my hand at aerial video by rigging up a Sony Bloggie camera to the top wing of my Lazy Ace. Marginal success. The best thing about that camera is that it lays flat so it has a small cross section to the wind and the head tilts up and down so setting the viewing angle is easy. The video quality was fair but the camera just couldn't handle the vibration and looking through the prop.

Here's that video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8YRj5Bzfmc&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

I recently picked up a GoPro. What a difference. It has a larger wind facing cross section but my plane didn't seem to care. The video was significantly better. The GoPro uses a snap in mount and the packaging has one that has no use beyond holding it in the box. I cut that so the base was a much smaller square. That gets screwed into a plywood deck glued in flush with the top wing pretty much at the CG. The GoPro mount can be rotated 90° so I can get frong-back and right-left shots. Very stable video after the engine gets off of idle. Idon't think it is vibration transmitted through the plane. More like the whole plane is moving so that can't be helped.

Take a look:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rihmaUPG4FE[/youtube]
Old 08-07-2012, 06:16 AM
harralk
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: First GoPro Flight

I have to say, that is indeed awesome!  Great video!

I've been looking at Gopro's new wifi transmitter system.  I don't suppose you've used that yet or know someone who has?
Old 08-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Chevelle
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: First GoPro Flight

Thanks.  No, I haven't tried it but I am tempted.  I'm too impatient to wait until I get home to see the video.