Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

High altitude LOS no FVP

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Wrice4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High altitude LOS no FVP

Can we continue this without the bs? I want to fly high and take pics. No fpv and yes it will be in my line of sight. Some planes I have read that people use are:
radian
bixler
spy hawk
wing dragon

any others?

would would you recommend? I have read that a lot of people use bixler cuz it's cheap.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:26 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: High altitude LOS no FVP

I didn't see any BS in your other thread. I saw lots of concern that a newbie wants to fly above the legal altitude for models near an airport, but that's about it. For the goal of safely and legally shooting some aerial photography, you'll want as large a plane as you can manage both for visibility and to carry the extra weight. The Radian is an all around nice plane that many have had as their first. If this is your first plane and you're going it alone (not my recommendation but if that's what you've decided to do there won't be any talking you into anything else) it would be the one to get. There's not anything cheaper that's just as good, but there may be some cheaper planes that you'll like well enough. If you get good at flying the plane, especially at finding and riding the thermals, it's a simple step up to add a camera to it and start filming your flights or snapping pics with a servo actuated shutter.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 PM
Wrice4

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

I didn't see any BS in your other thread. I saw lots of concern that a newbie wants to fly above the legal altitude for models near an airport, but that's about it. For the goal of safely and legally shooting some aerial photography, you'll want as large a plane as you can manage both for visibility and to carry the extra weight. The Radian is an all around nice plane that many have had as their first. If this is your first plane and you're going it alone (not my recommendation but if that's what you've decided to do there won't be any talking you into anything else) it would be the one to get. There's not anything cheaper that's just as good, but there may be some cheaper planes that you'll like well enough. If you get good at flying the plane, especially at finding and riding the thermals, it's a simple step up to add a camera to it and start filming your flights or snapping pics with a servo actuated shutter.
i just saw whiners, this will be my 4th plane but I have never had a high altitude glider.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Maximilionalpha

There are several very good, beginner sailplanes, for your basic high altitude flying, without FPV.  A few of those are;  Easy Fly @ 1.9M wingspan,
Parkzone Radian @ 2M  dehydral wingspan (Floater), Bixler (If you want something smaller, but faster), more for FPV'ing, and the new much larger Super Sky Surfer @ 2.4M wingspan and a fuse slightly over 4 feet long.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:32 PM
LarryV

It would be best to get a plane with a rear motor pusher prop for photography / video purposes. The EZ Star would be a good starter ( http://www.multiplexusa.com/model-kits/easy_star.html ) and the X8 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqzoG...endscreen&NR=1 ) would be very good. If you go with the Easy Star, enlarge the rudder surface a bit, adding ailerons will also give quicker control response. Another good plane would be the RQ 11.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31403.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	1820216  
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2012, 06:45 AM
Wrice4

ORIGINAL: LarryV

It would be best to get a plane with a rear motor pusher prop for photography / video purposes. The EZ Star would be a good starter ( http://www.multiplexusa.com/model-kits/easy_star.html ) and the X8 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqzoG...endscreen&NR=1 ) would be very good. If you go with the Easy Star, enlarge the rudder surface a bit, adding ailerons will also give quicker control response. Another good plane would be the RQ 11.
Thank you for the help! I did find a used Radian for $100, what do you think about that?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Wrice4

How would this compare to the Raidan, its $100 less.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Old 11-14-2012, 12:07 PM
LarryV

The Radian is a good flyer but for photography and video purposes its not good because the prop is in front. A prop / motor in front is going to cause prop distortion and electrical interference with your camera, You can overcome this by mounting the camers backwards toward the tail or outboard on one of the wings, outboard on a wing is not going to be as steady a platform as a center mount and mounted backwards is not a good picture.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:12 PM
LarryV

I would say no to this because of the motor in front.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:14 PM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, the most suitable platform would be one of the larger "old-timer" models.

Large, lightly-loaded and most importantly, possessing bags of inherent stability. You can fly it to a dot without fear of losing control. Easy to fit a camera outside of the prop arc. Doesn't need much of a power unit to get it aloft.... you could use electric and have the luxury of switching off whilst doing the important video work. Tons of room inside the fuselage. Ditch the undercarriage and handlaunch it. No undercarriage means you open up the possibilities of flying in more diverse locations.

These models can often be had very cheaply, too.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:05 PM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Wrice4

Can we continue this without the bs? I want to fly high and take pics. No fpv and yes it will be in my line of sight. Some planes I have read that people use are:
radian
bixler
spy hawk
wing dragon

any others?

would would you recommend? I have read that a lot of people use bixler cuz it's cheap.
If you have to ask what airplanes to use, you obviously are not prepared or experienced enough to attemp this type of flying. Oh what the heck, it's your money.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:56 PM
erik valdez
My Feedback: (80)

Wrice4,
I hope you find all the info you are looking for and are succesful in your venture. I cannot help since I have no experiance in this matter, although I have taken my 35% to altitudes that border the unimaginable. I fly an old JR Ham Radio and it works great! As for those, including the Mods who think this is a silly idea and could "Close the Hobby" Thats just ignorance. It could effect what you are able to purchase at the LHS or perhaps what can be offered to the public, but with no real way of enforcement it is impossible to belive that our doors could be closed. People will always be able to fly RC in our united states, Even with our current Administration!

Old 11-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

People will always be able to fly RC in our united states,
Sure. Just as we always thought we'd be able to smoke, which is now outlawed almost everywhere. If the FAA gets serious about shutting us down, and they will when some fool brings down a full scale plane and kills someone, they'll have lots of ways to do it. They could start, for instance, by limiting radio power significantly (with the help of the FCC).
Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Maximilionalpha

The Radian, is an excellent aircraft for photography, I know, because I've set mine up for both photography, as well as, videoing.  You just have to know how to build and place your different mounts, depending on what you prefer to do most.  Not going to bog you post down with my vids, so I'll just add this one, but if you guys care to see some of my other vids that show my camera facing forward without motor obstrucion, just view my channel.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNlKKcvnvlA[/youtube]
Old 11-15-2012, 06:43 AM
Wrice4

ORIGINAL: Maximilionalpha

The Radian, is an excellent aircraft for photography, I know, because I've set mine up for both photography, as well as, videoing. You just have to know how to build and place your different mounts, depending on what you prefer to do most. Not going to bog you post down with my vids, so I'll just add this one, but if you guys care to see some of my other vids that show my camera facing forward without motor obstrucion, just view my channel.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNlKKcvnvlA[/youtube]
Great video Max. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:44 AM
Wrice4

ORIGINAL: G4guy

ORIGINAL: Wrice4

radian
bixler
spy hawk
wing dragon

any others?

If you have to ask what airplanes to use, you obviously are not prepared or experienced enough to attemp this type of flying. Oh what the heck, it's your money.
I asked because I have never had a high altitude glider. So dont jump to conclusions if you do not know anything about my situation. Also, this a forum where people come for help, no duh I dont have experience in gliders, thats why I asked. Thanks for taking your time to cut me down.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Maximilionalpha

Out of all of the previous sailplanes that I mentioned to you in my earlier post, I would strongly suggest to you, the Parkzone Radian, being that it's a very good floater, with its' dehydral wing shape.  Also, if you're skiddish about flying,, may I also suggest this free simulator program for you, rcdeskpilot.com as, well as, a few Radians to add to it for practice with them.  http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=985
Old 11-16-2012, 07:07 AM
Wrice4

Out of all of the previous sailplanes that I mentioned to you in my earlier post, I would strongly suggest to you, the Parkzone Radian, being that it's a very good floater, with its' dehydral wing shape. Also, if you're skiddish about flying,, may I also suggest this free simulator program for you, rcdeskpilot.com as, well as, a few Radians to add to it for practice with them. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=985
I have plenty of experience. This will be my fifth plane. I fly everyday and I am not skiddish. I just wanted an opinion on a high altitude glider because I have never bought an rc plane to go up high and glide, so that is why I am asking the noobish questions about this. I have owned other planes in a different catagory.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:15 AM
Maximilionalpha

Okay, sorry, no offense. If it's all the same to you though, a simulator showing you the flight characteristics of the sailplane, especially the 3 channel kind, I think, would aid in your final decision.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:35 AM
Wrice4

Okay, sorry, no offense. If it's all the same to you though, a simulator showing you the flight characteristics of the sailplane, especially the 3 channel kind, I think, would aid in your final decision.
Haha no! I didnt mean to sound rude, just busy at work. Thanks for the input!