Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Mounting a GoPro on a Super Cub

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Landshark67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting a GoPro on a Super Cub

Hello everyone,

Has anyone used the GoPro mounts on a Hobby Zone Super Cub, Park Zone Radian, or any other foamie? My main concern is weather or not the mounts adhear securly enough to the foam or if I should use epoxy as reinforcement. I have also seen several videos where the camera is mounted on top but they never show how they are mounted. I have read a few comments where people say the GoPro mounted on top using the case works fine, others say it is too top heavy an dthey only mount it without the case. I plane to mount my GoPro on my Super Cub with and without floats so I will definetly need the case on when flying off of water. I wouild think the floats would offset the weight if I mounted the camera on top when using them. I know that I cant use the case mounted on the bottom of the plane when using landing gear because there isn't enough ground clearance. I'm not too concerned about weight on the Radian, but like I asked, will the mounts stick to the foam ok?

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:57 AM
STRAFEDOG

Default RE: Mounting a GoPro on a Super Cub

Hey LS, The GoPro weighs approximately 7oz. with the case. I have mounted mine on the top of the wing on the C.G., and let me tell you it was not a pretty flight. After a couple of close calls I managed to get the cub on the groud in one piece. I wont be trying that again. IMO the camera/case is a little to heavy and awkward for a top of wing mount. I used extra rubberbands and supplied adhesive mount to anchor it securely, which worked well. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:48 AM
john440b

While I have flown the GoPro on a .15 sized Eflite Pawnee I could not recommend it on the cub. The Radian may be able to support it but it will fly like a pig. There are better flying options for the smaller aircraft. (key FOB for example).
Old 10-08-2012, 10:53 AM
john440b

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owkW4...3&feature=plcp Eflite Pawnee 25 w Gopro

Usually mount with Wire ties. Let your conscience be your guide. How bad would it be to loose a $200 - $300 camera.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Landshark67

Thanks everyone for your input!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:03 AM
jdski

I don't have the HD Gopro, but I just hung mine without the case from the spar tube inside the cockpit of my Eflite Supercub 25e with a velcro wire keeper. It sort of just dangeled there so it moved around some when pitched up and down. I let this go like this thinking it might reflect some g forces. The problem is when nose down with flaps extended, the camera was looking up and the light metering was referencing off of the black inside the cockpit causing the image to wash out.
The other problem is that the Supercub windshield is not very clear.

It seemed to handle the weight fine and I bet it could handle the camera with the case on it as long as I mount it close to the CG. I may try that and if it works, look at getting a HD Gopro.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRnj2gBg8WY[/youtube]