Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Looking to Enter Aerial Photography

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 05:56 PM
JH313

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to Enter Aerial Photography

I was looking to start taking aerial photographs and videos and was thinking about the new Hero 3 by GoPro. My questions are:
1. Would this camera be a good idea?
2. I am rebuilding an avistar, thinking of putting a mount their under fuse, would a plane this big mind the little extra weight?
3. If I were to put a mount on a parkflyer (soarstar or radian type of plane), would the extra weight matter.
4. Is there a better camera option out there?

***I am aware of how controversial this issue is. I will NOT be flying FPV, the plane would never leave my sight, I will not fly higher than allowed (or I normally do). Just looking to see what the world looks like from out there.***
Thank you!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Tobtech
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking to Enter Aerial Photography

I don't have much experience with using a cam on a plane yet but I have used a GoPro quite a bit. The Avistar would handle the GoPro with no problems. I am not sure about the park flyers, I am getting ready to start experiementing with this myself. As far as Gopro being the best, I don't think they are the best, the are the most well known because they were the first consumer grade camera of that type and they continue with heavy marketing. Look at Replay and Contour as well, they are very good and a little smaller and make an educated choice.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used the following for inflight video (just got into the idea this past month):

BulletHD Pro
JVC Axxion
Sony Action Cam

The Sony is far superior in video quality, the smallest, and the very easy to work. Far more streamlined compared to a GoPro. I have the GoPro2 but haven't used it yet. I have mounted the Sony on a .60 sized stick, a Skyraider Mach II, and an indoor epp foamy (without the waterproof case). Zero issues with any.

Here are my videos:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLxdgZ55d2s&feature=em-share_video_user[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qslsEQlGg30[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxuMzpOd6yE&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Old 12-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxuMzpOd6yE&feature=em-share_video_user[/youtube]
Old 05-30-2013, 01:33 PM
JumpinGeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi BozarthLiked these videos with the Super Stunts and the Sony Action Cam. I noticed that the Sony seemed to be moving around ever so slightly. Like 1 or 2 inches. Especially when you were coming in for a landing. Can you tell me how you mounted the camera to the plane? Any special mount?Thanks for responding. Please post more videos and great music too. I am assuming that you landed and changed the position of the camera to film towards the rear of the plane. Or did you have some sort of a motorized head to swivel the Camera?Oh...What program are you using to edit your video?Whew ... Such questions!!! But thank you for answering them.Bill