Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

RCX brushless gimbal, from myrcmart review

Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

RCX brushless gimbal, from myrcmart review

Old 07-25-2013, 06:45 PM
antslake
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCX brushless gimbal, from myrcmart review

The good people over at myrcmart.com sent me their RCX brushless gimbal to test and review. I'll have to admit I knew very little about brushless gimbals before 2 weeks ago. I am by no means an expert now, but I did spend a considerable amount of time researching and learning.

I like buying things from myrcmart because of the pricing, and the fact that they respond to emails, and with EMS shipping get things to my door in a few days, not years like some other companies. It may be a few bucks more for the shipping, but I find it so worth it. I would spend that much on gas to get to a store anyway. Heck the stores around here don't even carry this stuff.

So here is the gimbal:
http://www.myrcmart.com/2axis-brushl...f282bplimtpag7

First impressions were good. It came well packed, and with plenty of hardware to complete assembly. The instructions for putting the gimbal together consist of an exploded diagram. That's all that is needed as it is pretty straight forward.

The difficult part was setting up the controller, or moreover learning how to. This gimbal will take either the Martinez board (who I donated too) or Alexmos SBG.

You can purchase the motors seprately if you are designing your own gimbal and do not feel like rewinding a motor.
http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-bgm2208-...f282bplimtpag7

There are two versions, long and short shaft.

Back to the gimbal. I found the quality to be satisfactory, and well worth the money. Again, I am no expert on this so my opinion is just that. I do work with mechanical/electrical things my whole life so I have some idea at what I am looking at.

So being that this gimbal was meant for a variety of cameras, the Hero 3 does not center itself on it. For this review I did not center it, although it wasn't that far off. I imagine with some minor weight you could get the Hero3 optically centered, and balanced.

So my first video with it was the maiden. I used the Hero3 on board, and the Hero2 on my head to film it. Everything seemed to go smooth and I am very pleased with the results. I look forward to using this to capture more great footage. I may modify the mounting a little to put on my H4 quad that I am building now. Doesn't seem like this would be too difficult. So as I make more videos, I will put them here. For now enjoy the maiden with commentary. Feel free to ask any questions.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVZf1Ku4KFg[/youtube]