Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Spylinker System just arived and burnt

Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Spylinker System just arived and burnt

Old 09-28-2003, 02:26 PM
norbe
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spylinker System just arived and burnt

Hi
I linked the transmitter of a Spylinker 1500mw 9V to a 9.6 Battery pack and it burnt two transistors inside the transmitter. I opened the transmitter since I contacted Spylinker and he told me to send him the transmitter to repair it but I think is not worth it. I would like to know if someone has any idea on what type of transistors are the ones used on the 1500mw system, if there is some kind of substitute that will work fine with a 9.6 Volt pack.
I really need help on this one, I am a bit sad since I never got to use the system not even once.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:30 PM
Billiam411

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spylinker System just arived and burnt

I don't have one, but I can tell you that since it is a 9V system, it would probably only be able to be used with a 9V battery, no an 8cell.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:28 PM
elevator_up

Real bummer ! I'm expecting my 1500 to arrive any day after I fried my 800 (it was my fault), hope it's not a common problem on the 1500's. If you blew 2 transistors sounds more like an upstream circuit problem to the transistors. The pack at 9.6 should work if the unit is designed for a 9V, so I'd think your 8 cell pack at 9.6 should be ok since voltage should be within tolerance, you just have plenty of capacity for long transmission time.

If you confirmed that the transistors are blown you must have removed them to properly test right?. Was there not a number on the transistor, with that number any good electronics shop should be able to provide you with a replacement, maybe even one of higher value. I know most of the electronic wizards with take exception to this comment, but if you're really stuck - most circuits and transistors are poorly assesed, as long as you properly determine if it's an npn or pnp, a 2N2222 will work in most circuits, I've done this often. Will spylinker provide any specifications or a schematic ?
Old 09-28-2003, 11:15 PM
norbe

e-mailed spylinker and the only thing he told me was to send him the unit back for repair. The transistors have no numbers on them and I am shure that they are burnt since I saw somke comming out of them.. the 9.6V didn't work, I also thought that it would have some kind of tolerance but aparently it didn't I think I will go for a 7 cell battery once I make it work again. I could post some pictures of the transistors and the circuit if this might help find a match.
Here there are a few good places to buy transistors but I really don't know the model to buy. What would happen if I installed the wrong transistor in the circuit? Would it just not work or would it cause some major damage?
Old 09-29-2003, 05:22 AM
XJet
Banned

If you see the posting I made just a few days ago under the thread ""spylinker reciever voltage" [sic] you'd have noticed that I mentioned the 1500mW systems were very marginal in respect to the output transistors.

I used two BLT 71 transistors to repair mine (because I had a couple lying around -- they're common in the output stage of some cellphones) but even these are marginal and I've taken to running my Spylinker 1500mW system at less than 9V to avoid another failure.

When I get time I'll do some research and see if I can find some transistors with a better voltage rating than the BLT71's and similar characteristics in the same SOT223 package.

You know you're dealing with a lame product when the manufacturer (or distributor) scrapes off the part numbers in a vain attempt to either protect their design, hide the fact that it's using under-spec'd components, or force you to return it to them for repairs.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:53 AM
goliath-RCU
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: XJet

snip

You know you're dealing with a lame product when the manufacturer (or distributor) scrapes off the part numbers in a vain attempt to either protect their design, hide the fact that it's using under-spec'd components, or force you to return it to them for repairs.

I saw the same scrape marks on a reciever in one of those cheap megatec park flyers, whats up with that?
Old 09-29-2003, 10:22 AM
norbe

OK
I tried to find the BLT71 and here in the country there is no place that has one. Is there some tipe of equivalent transistor? what is the SOT223???
And the last question would the 2N2222 that elevator_up sead work on this cirquit?
Old 09-29-2003, 04:16 PM
CrispyCritter
My Feedback: (26)

I posed the question a few weeks ago about using the 9.6 Tx pack for power to the camera. What I was told was that 9.6 is actually the low-end of the battery's power. A fresh charged Tx pack is often over 11 volts and levels around 10.5. There was probablly too much power going through the camera. I was glad I asked before I tried it. I hope that you can find out that it is something different but I think this is what happened. Good Luck!
Old 09-29-2003, 05:07 PM
elevator_up

I have a handful 3.7 of lithiums I plan to use in serial but also planning to use a 90 cent 9V power regulator for them, ie a 7809, I recall it peaks at about 9.3, but I'll double check based on the concerns raised here.

According to Phillips the BLT71 and BLT71/8 are now obsolete, so you might have trouble getting more, they also appear to be a 2 transistor surface mount vs a standard T022/23 type case. After looking at XJETS post and his reference to the BLT71, the 2N2222 may not work for this application. I thought you where referring to a standard transistor, but this appears to be a power or a UFH transistor (Without seeing the board or circuit it's hard to tell from the descriptions here). Wish I could more help, but mine has still not arrived[&o]. XJET what do you think ?
Old 09-29-2003, 05:19 PM
norbe

Ok then the transistor is not in production anymore... XJET do you have idea of any substitute??
Old 09-29-2003, 08:58 PM
XJet
Banned

I'll have a look through my references tonight but it shouldn't be hard to find a replacement since they were very common in cellphones right up until a year or two ago. I did find reference on the RadioShack site where they're listed as a component of one of the phones they sell -- but I didn't see any way to purchase one.

Will post an update later.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:28 PM
elevator_up

Very cool. Yes, the Jet may have given you the answer, Radioshack has a parts listing for a BLT71 for one of their phone. If you take the listing to a radioshack store they can order through their internal product repair parts if they still have them in stock. Here's a listing you can take, http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc42/42447.htm and ask for cat part 11686540 or as the instructions say, call 1-800-843-7422.

... but ya know ... I be tempted to send it back to spylinker for a new one. The unit cost over $120, it'll cost you less than 10 to ship it back and get a new one. Spylinker is very flexible if you want to change to a different unit I fried my 800mw unit and he agreed to take it back at cost and I'll pay the upgrade to a 1500mw unit. Good luck either way.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:05 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry to hear about your tx. I didnt have anything useful to add till now. My father powered his 800mw spylinker tx with a 12v nicad pack but used an 8v voltage regulator between it and the tx. Worked great. I will ask him which part # it was and get that info to the group. He told me once but my CRS is in full swing these days and I cant recall what it was.
What were we talking about?
Old 09-29-2003, 11:11 PM
norbe

Thanks to everyone... I really would need a part that can be found here in costa rica. anyways if I don't get to know the component type I think I will ship the item back to spylinker as he asked me to. Yes it is true the shipping isn't going to kill me and I would like to have a safe camera setup. I will see for the next few posts to see if I can get something usefull to repare the unit if not it goes back to Hong Kong .... Please try to help, I know that it might be a Pain in .... @#@$ but I rather repair the unit here than send it back. If I get the part I need is just a matter of minuts sending back the unit can take a month....
Thanks
Old 09-30-2003, 11:47 AM
elevator_up

The BLT71 is a universal part number, but I don't know if radio shack exists in Costa Rica, but in this global world shipping cost on a transistor should be minimal, or you might need to go on-line. Even a search engine might get you a source.

I admire your desire to replace these transistors, I'd be the same ... But then if you blew these 2 transistors, it is possible that there is damage elsewhere in the unit, or a component prior to the transistors shorted, causing any replacements to burn out for a different reason. If you saw visible smoke raising from the board, I'd be even more suspicious of ancillary damage. If you replace the blown transistors and it does not correct the problem, you might have problems returning the unit to spylinker after you've soldered up the board with your components. Then you could be chasing other blown componets and ordering new ones longer than it takes to get the new unit. If you're not really familiar or comfortable with electronics I'd reluctantly suggest the "return for new route" if you want to be cautious with your investment. I play with electronics for fun, but returned my unit for these reasons. When the fixed or new unit arrives, also go for the voltage regulator. These are very cheap. I suspect the one that Fubar's Father is using is called a LM7808 or equivalent ( ie LM78 = low amperage voltage regulator, and the 08 means 08Volts) or a LM7809 for 9 volts. You can get these almost any electronics shop, and online is also readily available. I'm curious what Fubar reports back. Maybe a true electronics guru could comment or make a suggestion.

Anyone know or can speculate if operating at 8volts will give less range then running at 9 volts ?? Yes, can you tell I'm still anxiously awaiting my unit to arrive !!
Old 09-30-2003, 07:13 PM
Orbitter

Well, I don't like running any electronics at less then the recommeded voltage. Usually it doesn't help anything. I always run at -5 to +5% of the recommeded voltage. For instance, if it says supply it with 5v. I'll supply it with 5.5v. I usually go over by .5v. But then I also hook up some caps, inductors & diodes to filter out ANY noise and regulate it.

P.S. Electronics is a hobby of mine and I'm also in college taking Instrumentation(i.e. Industrial Electronics) so if ya got any questions let me know. Pictures would really help seeing as there is no part # stamped on those transistors!

elevator_up: There is about a 90% chance that 8v will lower your range but it should be insignificant. The only way it wont shorten your range is if there is an internal voltage regulator and I doubt it.

Regards,
Bryan
Old 09-30-2003, 07:55 PM
XJet
Banned

After doing some reseach, it appears as if the BLT81 would be a better device and it can be purchased online from Farnells. Here's the order page from their NZ website (prices in NZ$ which are about NZ$1 => US$0.59 right now.

[link=http://international2.farnell.com/Search/level_5.jhtml?PRODID=47514&SKUID=45453]BLT81 product/order page[/link]

Farnell don't seem to have a US presence but you could simply order from their nearest online store and have it delivered by air-mail.

Even these devices are marginal -- designed to handle just 1200mW at 7.5V -- which is why I suspect they don't last too long at 9V pushing 1500mW. I'm running my 1500mW system at 7.2V now and it's working just fine and dandy -- even with the lesser BLT71 transistors.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:25 PM
Fubar-One

I dont know about less range but operating the 800mw system thru the 8v regulator seemed to have plenty. I forget the actual figures but per the tests my father did with his, when you are powering both the camera and the tx off the 9v battery, you are NOT getting 9v to the tx. 8. something comes to mind but my mind is usually off someplace else so that figure, vague tho it is, is pretty suspect.
Lemme email him and see if he can remember the data he quoted to me.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:50 PM
Fubar-One

Yes, it was a 7808 regulator. Either a TO-220 or TO-204 case. Rated at 1 amp. They are available at Electronic City in Burbank, CA but I realize that isnt much help to yall.
He said he forgot what the voltage drop for the 800mw system was when he hooked camera and tx to the 9v transister battery but "it was bad".
Old 10-02-2003, 11:47 AM
elevator_up

Orbitter:

P.S. Electronics is a hobby of mine and I'm also in college taking Instrumentation(i.e. Industrial Electronics) so if ya got any questions let me know. Pictures would really help seeing as there is no part # stamped on those transistors!
Thank for the offer of accepting questions, I have my first question for you. These LM78nn devices are great, but from what I've seen they are all limitied to approx 1 amp max. Do you know if there is a similar line of components that provide more than 1 amp regulated ?

Also Jxet, I'm curious to understand how you where able to determine that the tx had BLT71's. I understand that all the part numbers have been removed, so how did you narrow down to determine it was that specific component ?

Thanks all !
Old 10-02-2003, 01:15 PM
norbe

I tried the page that XJET tells in the netherlands and the link doesn't bring me to anything. Is there any other page ??
Old 10-02-2003, 05:41 PM
elevator_up

The link above only takes you to an end link, maybe need an account, but you can still drive to a checkout. Use the address supplied, then strip the end of the address off to get you to their global home page, then pick a country. Not all the the countries have a web site, some only an e-mail address. I tried England and it worked fine, and I thought I saw costa rica also. Brazil has a site, that may be closer for you (I cannot read spanish/portgese but it looked workable). Search for BLT81, put it in you basket and checkout. (an extra 5 cents for web help )
Old 10-02-2003, 05:55 PM
XJet
Banned

Thank for the offer of accepting questions, I have my first question for you. These LM78nn devices are great, but from what I've seen they are all limitied to approx 1 amp max. Do you know if there is a similar line of components that provide more than 1 amp regulated ?
You can significantly increase the current-carrying ability of a low-cost 3-terminal regulator by adding a cheap power transistor as the control element. It's a very simple circuit and I can probably post an example if requested.

Also Jxet, I'm curious to understand how you where able to determine that the tx had BLT71's. I understand that all the part numbers have been removed, so how did you narrow down to determine it was that specific component ?
When you've been working with RF gear (transmitters/receivers) as long as I have (shudder), you can take a pretty good guess at a component by its packaging and the application in which it's being used.

There aren't a whole lot of 1-2W RF power transistors in that packaging and I know the BLT71/81 are commonly used in cellphones at around 900MHz so, bearing in mind the low-price of the unit and the fact that it fried at 12V, I figured this would be what they're using.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:31 PM
elevator_up

I'd be interested in seeing your power combination, I'm sure one of these days I'll have a widget requiring it, and it could save on a bulky transformer. What type of substantial power increase are you thinking.

I figured that you had to be a pro to spot blt71's. Great to have you here !

What is you avatar a photo of ?
Old 10-06-2003, 12:31 PM
norbe

I was looking at the BLT71 datasheet and it looked compleately diffrent to the one that burnt. I am adding an image of the transistor I burnt so you can help me out. this is a scanned image of the item.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81573.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	65893  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.