Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Creative Labs Cardcam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 08:20 AM
coomarlin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creative Labs Cardcam?

Anyone ever tried using a [link=http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2144125&cat=124473&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3946%3A3959%3A124473]Creative Labs Cardcam[/link] for inflight RC pics? It's $49 from Wally World and it's the size of a credit card. I'd think you could easily mount it flush to teh side of the fuse. It's probably only a couple of ounces.

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried modding a shutter release like they are doing with the Aiptek's.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:49 AM
mr.rc-cam

Default RE: Creative Labs Cardcam?

It's a poor value for the money. It is only VGA resolution. The Aiptek is slightly heavier, but it is about the same price and has 1.3Meg resolution.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:53 AM
coomarlin

ORIGINAL: mr.rc-cam-RCU

It's a poor value for the money. It is only VGA resolution. The Aiptek is slightly heavier, but it is about the same price and has 1.3Meg resolution.
It's the same 1.3MP resolution as the Aiptek. Weather the picture quality is is great I couldn't tell you. I just thought it might be a possible alternative considering it is very flat.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:44 AM
mr.rc-cam

It is not the same resolution. Their advertised 1.3MP is software interpolated. Native resolution is only 300K pixels. Images are so-so due to the VGA resolution.

Another opinion: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=161345

But, if you wish to use it, then the camera would probably work great with Michele's R/C switch. But I'll try one more time: The Aiptek SD (native 1.3Megapixel) is only $39 at some Walmarts.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:01 PM
coomarlin

Thanks for the info. I see that once you go to creatives website and click on specs it says "interpolated" which does such. Wal Mart should clear that crap up in ther advertisements.

I searched for the Aiptek at walmart and I didn't see it anywhere. Circuit City has the Aiptek for $69, but thats no where near $39.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:12 PM
mr.rc-cam

I searched for the Aiptek at walmart and I didn't see it anywhere.
Walmart is not consistent with their inventories. My local store has not had ANY low cost digital cameras for months (if ever). Other folks walk into their local store and see a stack of them. At $39 for the SD model, they usually do not last long.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:39 AM
aaron2874

I bought an Aiptek SD at Best Buy for 80 bucks. 2 weeks later, a buddy of mine comes to work with the same cam he got at Walmart for 39!! I was slightly perturbed...
Old 11-08-2003, 07:48 AM
coomarlin

I was at my local walmart last night and they didn't have them. I did see them at Circuit City but they were $70. Would anyone out there that has them at their local Wal Mart be a real Pal and pick me one up. I'll pay to ship it
Old 11-10-2003, 07:13 PM
Iceman2727

You can get the aiptek cams on aipteks site. The crazy thing is that they are much cheaper on their own site than their retailers. Sometimes almost 50% less than Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.

The shipping is fairly inexpensive, I think i paid $6 for 2nd day.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:26 AM
coomarlin

The Aiptek SD is on their site for $50 but it's reconditioned. Would hate to pay $50 for a reconditioned one when I could get a new one for $39. Of course I'd have to find one first
Old 11-11-2003, 10:47 AM
mr.rc-cam

From all reports, the "reconditioned" Aipteks are brand new. It appears to be their way of protecting their resale network.

As far as waiting for a $39 Walmart unit, well it will probably be a very long wait. If you can afford the extra few dollars, a mail order model for $50 is a very good deal.