Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

A new use for arial video, S&R

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 11:39 AM
Eagle Flyer
My Feedback: (84)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A new use for arial video, S&R

I recently did my first video. I hooked it up to a vcr and a dvd player at the same time. Later I realized the live video on the DVD player would work good for locating down and lost aircraft. While someone is flying another could be watching the live video and speak up when they see it. Then a person would have a good idea of it's location. May save a lot of time, perhaps a plane. And if there is more than one person with a camera perhaps there could be a reward for the first to locate it. Kind of like a pool, winner takes all.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:56 PM
Rj-TailSpin

Default RE: A new use for arial video, S&R

I have found two out of three lost planes. It is a very effective way to search for lost planes. Usually, one flight is all it takes. It is so easy to walk right passed a plane in high grass and corn fields. The shine from the coverings is very easy to see from the air.

The one I didn't locate was lost in a hazy sky. The potential landing area of the PlayBoy plane was more than a square mile North of a Sod Farm flying field. Much of the area has no access... just fields and woods. That plane was recently found by a deer hunter about 1/2 mile from where we searched. It is being dried out as we speak by it's happy owner. This is the second time he lost his PlayBoy, but she just keeps coming back-grin.

The maximum efficient range of searching is approximately 1/2 mile away.

Search and Rescue Aerial Style!
Rj
Old 11-25-2003, 07:34 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Im going to have to try that at Grass Mountain with my Electra and see if I can find my lost Scooter. I spent two hours crawling around in the brush the day I lost it and another hour or so a couple days later with no luck. Its all scrub oak below the hill and that stuff is near impossible to navigate. I bet I could find it looking downwards tho! Its Day-Glo orange with bright blue wings.
ORIGINAL: Rj-TailSpin

I have found two out of three lost planes. It is a very effective way to search for lost planes. Usually, one flight is all it takes. It is so easy to walk right passed a plane in high grass and corn fields. The shine from the coverings is very easy to see from the air.

The one I didn't locate was lost in a hazy sky. The potential landing area of the PlayBoy plane was more than a square mile North of a Sod Farm flying field. Much of the area has no access... just fields and woods. That plane was recently found by a deer hunter about 1/2 mile from where we searched. It is being dried out as we speak by it's happy owner. This is the second time he lost his PlayBoy, but she just keeps coming back-grin.

The maximum efficient range of searching is approximately 1/2 mile away.

Search and Rescue Aerial Style!
Rj
Old 11-25-2003, 08:33 PM
CenTexFlyer

On a more serious note, I've been contacted for future participation in S & R missions looking for people. Out here in the hill country we have 2-3 "missing people" searches a year for kids and old folks that go walk-about and get lost. I can be on site short order and cover lots more territory in 15 minutes than a whole crew can in an hour.

I believe there is a future in this, and I'm going for it!

CTF