Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

420-450 mhz band for video

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 04:40 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 420-450 mhz band for video

This looks like a good band to use. Check out this link: http://www.hamtv.com/ and this one: http://www.hamtv.com/pdf.files/PCATVcat5.pdf

These should work well and at $100.00 for the tx it's not too bad.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:38 PM
mr.rc-cam

Default RE: 420-450 mhz band for video

In the early days of ham ATV, the UHF video gear was popular. It was relatively low cost and simple down convertors allowed the use of a standard TV for viewing. All of the 420-450 Mhz rigs I have seen have been AM (not FM) which made them difficult to achieve good results on a moving R/C model.

Later, affordable 900Mhz FM came along. They offered higher bandwidth, more reliable color reproduction, and small aerial size. In the early days these were expensive to build or buy.

Things have progressed a bit more. Low cost 2.4Ghz FM designs recenlty arrived. They offer very good performance, including excellent sensitivity and dynamic range on the Rx. The antenna systems are very compact, a big plus for small R/C models. My experience has shown that a good 2.4Ghz system is the best pick at this time.

It is important to note that many of the cutting edge designs in wireless video originated within the ham community. They deserve our respect and cooperation for their efforts.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:11 PM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Default RE: 420-450 mhz band for video

skypilot,

Tom at hamtv has good quality equipment. I use it in my univ research project. His 1.5 watt 420-440 tv tx is well built and good quality but it is not plug and play. It requires mounting in a case and fitting with an antenna. It is AM modulation, so you can receive it with most standard tvs using a cable channel (58, 59 or 60). I get solid picture using the TV rabbit ears and the 1.5 watt tx at nearly 3/4 mile between the plane and the tv. With a more sensitive receiver setup (better antenna and downconverter), the range is a couple of miles minimum. You need a ham ticket to purchase the equipment.

Elson K2BUG