Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Should I buy this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 11:16 PM
Steven H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy this?

The BWAV200 system looks like it's the one I need. It can be seen at
http://www.blackwidowav.com/bwav240200system.html. I have zero experience with on board video. I'm looking for a trouble free and simple system to get me started. What is the difference between NTSC and PAL video standards? I don't know the difference. Wich one do I need? Can I add a GPS overlay to this system in the future? Sorry for all the questions. I just don't want any more expensive lessons!!

Thanks,

Steve
Old 11-18-2003, 12:20 AM
yb2normal

Default RE: Should I buy this?

Hi Steve,

NTSC and PAL are the video formats used by different countries. NTSC is used by all of North America and Japan. Most of Europe uses PAL.

With regards to expensive lessons, I offer a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. If you don't like it, drop me an email and we'll work out the details for you to return it!

Regards,
Bill
Black Widow A/V, LLC
Old 11-18-2003, 05:12 AM
vstk2

Bill,

What about the GPD overlay - Can this be added to this system? Also, do I read you site correct in that you wont have these systems for awhile?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2003, 11:58 AM
yb2normal

vstk2,

Opps, yeah, I didn't answer that part of his question!

The BWAV200 comes with the camera hardwired in, but I've had clients simply cut the cable and add their own connectors. This is relevant to the GPS overlay in that you CAN add the overlay, with a little bit of cutting and soldering. I fly exclusively electric airplanes so light weight is my mantra. If I were to hack a GPS overlay into the system, I would forego regular RCA connectors and simply solder everything directly together to save an ounce or two.

For people who prefer connectors, can anyone chime in with a nice lightweight connector rated for video signals? A set of RCA connectors weighs almost as much as my whole video system!

Regarding availability, yes, you read the website correctly, although January is only a month and a half away

You can believe I am on the phone with the factory at least twice a week asking if my order shipped.

Bill
Old 11-20-2003, 10:23 PM
Steven H

Is there anywhere else I could purchase something similar? I may not want to wait until January to get started.

Where would I pick up a GPS overlay system? Do they make one that will display distance to way point and course to it?

Thanks

Steve
Old 11-22-2003, 12:38 PM
yb2normal

I lucked out, and was informed by the factory that my stuff is on the way. I should have the bare units in about a week, and ready-to-fly systems soon after.

Regarding the GPS overlay, I am not aware of any ready-made solutions to display the information you are asking about, but I've dabbled with building my own overlay and know that the information is available on the output of most consumer GPS units, and it is simply a matter of grabbing the data and displaying it.

I used the BOBII overlay board and programmed a PIC microcontroller to scrape the data off the GPS and send it to the overlay board. It was a cobbled-together solution though, if I were to do it again I'd etch some boards to make it much better looking.

Regards,
Bill